Coaching in Birmingham, Alabama

Interjon

• Baller

New to the site and the sport in general. After reading, it looks like the best place to start is with professional coaching. Any coaching/coaches around the Lake Martin, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa area?

Thanks in advance, and thank all of you for the helpful information in all of the other threads.

• Baller

@DavidT you can usually find some clinics held with pro coaches from time to time, maybe not this summer. There is still a ski club/group skiing at Logan Martin Lake by the dam. My daughter and I ski on Lay Lake, and keep up a slalom course there. The people at Lake Martin Marine can help you on that lake, there are slalom courses there also.

If you want to ski with us some time, email or call me. My daughter and I are both very high level coaches.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

At Lake Martin, Bob Schouten use to do some coaching. He's been big in Alabama skiing for years. His dad unofficially coached me, but he's like 91 and probably not available. Then there's Peyton, UofA grad works at Russell Marine and can do some coaching. He helped with the ski clinics for years. Don Kelley was helping, but is traveling a lot now.

Auburn's old coach east of Montgomery use to coach, but can't remember his name. Someone on here should be able to provide info. or google. GLWS

George A. Amonette

78 Water Oak Ln.

Jacksons Gap, Alabama

• Baller
It really depends on how far you’d feel comfortable going to ski and get coaching. @mmosley899 and his daughter are both great skiers and can offer practical coaching and general ski advice. Auburn’s former ski coach, Jeff Wiswall, is in Shorter - private lake and quality coaching.

• Baller
Bob Schouten can be found on facebook. I reached out to him with a friend request after Doug Hamrick told me that Bob would be maintaining the course located in the cove where Don Kelly used to live. Yes, Don sold his house on Lake Martin so he and his wife can travel the country. Don's course is the one closest to the marina where I keep my boat. And yet, I've only done a couple of sets there. Good luck!