Steering Cable

Joeprunc

With COVID I haven't had to pull anyone past -32' through the course this year until just a few weeks ago. I noticed 2 things. (1) I need a new cable the steering wheel is a bit stiffer than last year can turn with ease, but not 1 finger, and (2) there is more "free slack" in steering than last year. 2006 Response LXI.

I have a new cable on order and will replace it when my 1 year old lets me (which could be be a while). I've also adjusted the rudder tab to put more load on the rudder, which helped, but It could be better. I plan on greasing the rudder packing box.

But my main question like dirt bike clutch cable, mountain bike shifting cables, and other cable actuated assemblies in a boat are there an adjustment nuts to the cable and cable sleeve to minimize slack as the cable starts to wear? I was wondering if the block in the picture below was the adjustment device. So if I move the nuts to make the cable sleeve longer, this should minimize the slack....right? (With the 1 year old, I'd love to do a quick fix to get through the year, and make the cable replacement a winter project.)

http://oldjeep.com/images/Malibu/lxisteeringcable/WP_20150626_003.jpg

• Baller
That is not a slack adjustment, it aligns your rudder with the steering wheel. Time to lube your rudder box and probably install a new steering cable. Steering cables usually work great until you get too much water in the bilge.

• Baller

@Jody_Seal is it generally the idea to adjust to get the rudder to have equal number of steering wheel turns in either direction, or make it so the rudder travels further in one direction to offset some of the effects of the prop rotation/walking? I have mine centered, equal number of steering wheel rotations to get to full lock, and ensure that it can't lock over if it turns too far in either direction. The boat naturally wants to turn one way better then the other at low speeds due to prop rotation/walk.

I have also noticed, that with doing it this way, the point at which the cable transitions from pulling to pushing or vice versa, there is a little bit of play that shows up in the steering wheel and a unsettling of the steering. Running the tunable rudder tab fixes that up though, and improves in course tracking.