New Tow Vehicle - what are the real choices?

Horton

• Baller
@TEL no idea, but it is usually just brand x is better than brand y or focusing on a problem that most people never had, or just personal preferences on engine tech. I've test driven the various pickup options and they are all fine. For me the GM 5.3 feels the weakest of the bunch (we're not including toyota here), although it is a lot better than the previous 5.3 versions. GM 6.2 is awesome but expensive. Ford engines seem overly complex and the towing mileage really sucks. I still believe that there is no replacement for displacement if you want longevity. The hemi 5.7 just works and has a ton of power. The fords and the GMs ride quality is not very good compared to the Ram and somehow the Ram still doesn't squat much under a heavy load. Interiors are a personal thing. For me Chev finally fixed up the interior that they had been using since my 1994 S10 and it looks nice now. Ford has always just struck me as god awful ugly inside and out. My Rams the interiors were more comfy and ergonomic.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@TEL, great Hemi insight. I don't have a good reason for doubting them, other than I read about the cams and oil lifters. I'm sure it's a small minority of people who experience problems, then they get amplified on the internet. Still haven't ruled them out for when I need a new truck in the next year or so.

• Baller

There is as much brand loyalty with full size trucks as there is with Ski Boats. RAM has done a great job over the last decade and actually won the last two Motor Trend TOTY awards.

BUT Getting A Ford guy to even consider a Chevy or RAM is like trying to sell a Nautique or Malibu to a Baller on his 4th ProStar.

• Administrators
@RAWSki Dodge seems to kill it for drive train but I hear nothing but bad things about the fit and finish of the rest of the vehicles. They do not make an SUV on the Ram platform so I and not even looking that way.

• Baller
x2 the fit and finish thing is from years gone by. The Gen 3 (ended in 2008) Ram was a steaming pile in that regard. It is unfortunate that Ram doesn't make a full sized SUV I guess, except that a crew cab with some sort of bed cover is basically an SUV and doesn't break the bank.

• Baller

@Horton you are terribly mis--informed. I associate with an several GM employees working on the GM Trucks and 2 years ago when RAM Launched the new 1500 GM was ROCKED backwards . GM didn't expect the level of refinement and it put them "behind the 8-ball". GM has since made adjustments but their long term strategy is electric so fingers crossed for the GMC Hummer.

PS. . @Horton. 'Dodge' Hasn't made a truck in ten years. RAM is a stand alone brand with Dodge heritage.

• Baller

@Horton Agreed on the Explorer. We tow our 196 with the Explorer, and it does just fine.

But wit the family and all of our gear, we run out of space on a weekend getaway; even with a cargo bag on the roof.

My suggestion is to look at a CPO Lexus GX460. Best vehicle I have EVER owned. Tows my MC pretty well plus room for 6 or 7. Look for 3+ years old, coming in off lease. Best deal, doing that. Bulletproof motor, 300k mile vehicle with normal maintenance.

• Baller

We just switched to an F150 because of quality issues in our 2014 diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. The GC has been fixed a few times for ignition/starter issues. It was ok for almost exactly 1 year and then it happened again. We didn't want to trust the GC for our coming drive to Maine and I wanted to switch to a truck for the utility. Other than the quality issues, I think our main issue with the diesel was that we don't drive it enough. It needs to be driven on longer drives than we do in Florida. When we lived in Maine & Massachusetts we were doing 3+ hr drives every weekend. In Florida, if we drive 3 miles that's about the extent of it.

The F150 we picked has the 3.5 ecoboost. It has about the same torque as the Jeep, but fuel economy doesn't touch what the diesel was able to achieve.

I've had the F150 for one week so far. I've only had to tow a construction trailer to the dump a few times. The trailer weighs in at ~2,000 pounds. The trash added up to at most 1,500 pounds. So, not quite equivalent to a ski boat and trailer. But, still, the truck was very impressive.

In the Grand Cherokee, a full tank meant over 700 miles at 70mph. The truck doesn't boast that much range, but with the Max Towing Package, you get a 36 gallon tank. The computer is telling us we have close to 650 miles of range. So, if we can get the 23mpg Ford advertises we should get well over 700 miles to a tank. We'll test that out in a few weeks when we drive to Maine. We won't be towing a boat, though.

I guess this is a vote for the 3.5 ecoboost. We chose the 4x2 Lariat model as that was on the lot and we don't think we'll need 4WD. The dealer near us in Winter Haven has some insane deals going on.

• Baller
@Horton, I currently have a 2014 Chevy Silverado w/6.2 . Previously, I had a Chevy Duramax diesel. I'm consider an SUV for my wife that will tow my Nautique if needed. I did a Consumer Reports check and the 2017 GMC Yukon (Chevy Tahoe) got very good ratings. If you get the Yukon Denali, the 6.2 is standard, I believe. To summarize, you drop down 3 years to save $$$'s, upsize to the 6.2 and buy what the ratings rate as Reliable. Boom!!!! You win.

• Baller
I just drove from Florida to Maine. It took us a total of 29 hours (including stops). Our new F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost engine started out at around 27mpg. It ended up settling at 25mpg as we got into hills. The trip computer was telling us we had 890 miles until empty at one point. We have the "max towing" package, which means we have a 36-gallon fuel tank. The 900-mile range is no joke. Of course, when towing it would be less, but we didn't bring the boat north this trip (friends with boats in Maine!). So, what is basically a 1,500-mile trip can be done on TWO tanks of gas. It is almost disconcerting to see 200 miles left until empty when the gauge reads 25%.

• Baller

My F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost gets 23 MPG. It tows my ski boat fine, but I haven't checked the mileage with it back there because it goes 500 feet from my storage building to the boat ramp and back, once per year.

325 HP and 400 Ft/Lb from a 2.7l is impressive though. I have talked to a couple guys that do fleet maintenance on these, and all indications are this is a 200Kmi+ engine without issues.

I wouldn't tow a G23 with it, but a 196 is just fine.

• Baller
These threads kill me. Same guys buying $100k+ all of a sudden their wallets clam up when it’s time to pull into the gas pump! Longevity and reliability, SOHC V8! The 6.0 GM gasser was the most diehard engine this century. It didn’t do anything great but zero maintenance for a half million miles. My weekend truck is a 18 or 19 Tundra. Hands down, best performing and riding truck I’ve ever driven. Don’t know why there’s no love for a Tundra. If I were in the market for a full-size SUV..... Sequoia without a doubt.

• Baller
@Orlando76 - around here, one reason is because the dealers don't really have any interest in selling them. The local Toyota dealer keeps under 10 pickups on the lot, compare that to the big 3 that will have over 100 on the lot. Or maybe it is because nobody around here has any interest in buying them ? A toyota pickup is a rarity to see.

• Baller
Miles Per Gallon is just a measurement of how often one has to stop while driving long distances. It isn't only about saving money or using less fuel. My wife and I want a vehicle that we don't have to fill up frequently. Seeing almost 900 miles until empty equates to that for us. The size of the tank is also a factor.