A reminder to check your dock/lift electrical components and electrical ground

h2onhk

• Baller

Just read this on the news. A reminder to always be safe and smart when installing or using electricity around a dock for lifts or other amenities. Voltage leaks into the surrounding water can be deadly.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/arizona-lake-electrocution-incident-lake-pleasant-scorpion-bay-dock

GFCI, proper grounding, frequent physical inspections for damaged components, etc could save you or a loved ones life.

• Baller
@h2onhk - thanks for posting. We have a water fountain in our swim area that is powered via GFCI. We have always swam with it turned on - but after reading this I’ll be unplugging it whenever someone gets in the water. Too much risk involved if something were to go un noticed or some freak thing happened.

• Baller
I hate seeing crap like this, no reason for it. No respect for electricity. Just a reminder, there is a BIG and DEADLY difference between a GFIC outlet and a GFIC protected circuit. A GFIC outlet is almost useless around water, only protecting you downstream from the receptacle. A GFIC outlet serves zero protection ahead of the receptacle where a fault is most likely to occur. GFIC protected circuit protects the whole entire wire.

• Baller

Yeah any time I work out there I unplug from the power post first. My plug end at the lift motor is double heavy-duty zip stripped to my dock post such that if it came unplugged it can't fall in the water. The cord itself is sequentially zip stripped to my dock all the way to shore so it's not in the water.

I've heard in the past of the proverbial Darwin awards in these cases where people have died in such a scenario where the cord fall in the water and energized the water near them.

• Baller

@lpskier I've never seen Ozark. Maybe I should.

@Skoot1123 unplugging or isolating the power source is the best way to ensure there is no risk.

Here is a good article that shows how you can test a system with a basic clamp on AMP meter. What is really interesting is "Current thresholds for humans" about half way down the article. Very little current or leakage will put you in the danger zone really quick. 10-15mA and you can't swim.

Even if your power system is above the water line, you should make sure that your GFCI is working properly, grounding points are not corroded, and that electrical cords/lines are not worn and coming in contact with a metal dock pole or lift pole and transferring current into the water.

https://www.marinadockage.com/technical-bulletin-understanding-ac-leakage-current/