Grounding Perfect Pass Stargazer

Ski_Dad

• Baller

My friends Response has been beeping on startup since he got it a few years ago. It will go away after the boat is started for a 5 seconds. If you just turn the key to On it will beep repeatedly and you can't see the gauges or screens until you start the boat. I found this article and if i unplug the GPS the beeping goes away. Any suggestions on how to beef up the ground? there is a ground bar under the dash.

http://www.perfectpass.com/sites/all/themes/perfectpass%20-%20Copy/images/troubleshooting/Low-Voltage.pdf

He has Stargazer with ZBox

thanks in advance!

• Baller

Run an extra wire from the ground under the dash direct to the battery. Use at least a 6mm auto cable (4.6mm2 cross sectional area). 8 gauge would be great (even bigger) but not strictly necessary. No need to disconnect the old one.

You can also run a new positive wire direct from the battery. That would need a 15amp fuse near the battery and a relay switched by the ignition switches. That is the best solution.

Wire example

https://www.bunnings.com.au/narva-6mm-50a-red-black-automotive-cable-twin-sheath_p0047797

• Baller
@GregHind ya I'm a fan because it's stupid simple. Bring a pair of heavy gauge wire from the block to the dash in replacement of the factory source. Spend 30bbucks and go 8 gauge and have a clear simple low resistance feed. Then in the dash go right from the source to the PP with the 8 gauge. What you'll see is higher voltage at the PP and higher voltage readings basically equal to VM readings at the battery at the voltmeter. Instead of a 14.4 at the battery and 13.2 on the PP it's 14.4 everywhere. Good upgrade. Also if you want you can take that 8/2 duplex to an AUX switch.

• Baller
@BraceMaker - this post is timely as I am about to finally address this issue in my 05 Mastercraft. If I update the ground as you describe, does this save me from needing to splice into the perfectpass harness? I have been very hesitant to splice in as it just seems to be asking for trouble.

• Baller

Since this is not my boat I think I'm going to use these splice connectors. The power cord has a purple for positive and a black for ground - I think if I use this on the black wire and run it to the grounding block that will work. Well at least worth a try.

ziifag5snw11.png

Bracemaker's idea interests me for my personal boat b/c I've never had more than 11 on my gauge with engine off and 13 while running. I get a better reading at the battery though

• Baller

It sounds like you both have voltage drop issues.

If you want to test this out - grab your jumper cables from the garage and clip a ground to your block, then go up to the dash and clip it onto one of the negative posts on a gauge and check what your voltmeter does.

Most boats you'll immediately see the voltage gauge jump up. Sometimes you have to do the power as well.

If you want a really clean install - duplex wire is a pair hot and ground in one sheath which lets you run that in parallel right up to the ignition switch.

The value of larger wire goes up the longer the run, and another way to reduce voltage drop is to shorten wires. So depending how you installed the PP you might have left yourself a lot of extra wire coiled up. And you might still want to continue that ground wire up to the actual master module and splice its ground. But at that point you are augmenting the PP loom.