Darn! One pass too many on my favorite ski

markn

• Baller
Loved this ski....my favorite of all time, but they do get fatigued and can break due to repetitive stress. I guess 3 years of heavy use is the limit on comp skis. This makes 2 skis I have broken over the years. How long should a comp ski be used? Think my new limit is 2 years.

• Baller

@markn - haha. I am demoing some skis now. Check out the what ski should I demo poll. I have tested the HO Omega, Radar Vapor Pro Build, and now the Denali.

Hopefully you are going to demo some skis. Or do you already have one as a backup?

• Baller
@skier2788 holy crap!! you win the award! I still have my T-1. @Skoot1123 I was on a Syndicate Pro, and a week before the tourney, went back to my T-3....so now I am back on the Syndicate Pro.

• Baller

I have a Mapple 6.0 that is still usable. I was on the T3 circa 2017. Not as consistent on it. I think the toque box was my issue.

This makes me wonder if the torque box was the culprit here in the break especially where it’s located.

• Baller
@BG1 I am a righty and the ski was a 67. @"Pat M" I really do not think the torque box contributed to the failure. I skied a T-1 with no issues. I just think the ski wore out. I skied a ton of passes on it and I am not the smoothest skier around.

• Baller
I read somewhere (Adam Cord maybe) that the failure point is significantly often at the inserts, on any ski. The skis just break down over time and those are the spots where there is a different material in the core. Pretty sure that’s why several ski makers have tried to move away from inserts in the past. Nothing works as good so we deal with the lifespan. Looks like that one had a good life. I loved the T3. Look at KLP’s new ski. That Greek kid running deep 41’s who refused to let go of his T3 finally did for the new “little p”. Same bloodline

• Baller
@aupatking The inserts being the potential failure point makes a lot of sense. Every time I skied, I would tighten the binder screws. When looking at the break point, it sure looks like the split was right in the middle of the insert.

• Baller
WOW. @savaiusini thank you for your kind offer. Have to say the support from TEAM SYNDICATE is truly impressive. After reviewing the pics, Syndicate immediately offered to replace and shipped it the next day! A shout out to Performance Ski as well. Bill offered to give me a ski off the shelf and then replace it when the one from HO arrived. Bill just wanted to get me back out on the water. We skiers are pretty darn lucky to be supported by such service, skier oriented companies. Thank you HO and Perfski!