SKIING IN RIFLE,COLORADO

bananaron

• Baller

fjo5de1bt3cy.jpg

This past weekend I was in Rifle,Colorado which is approx 180 miles west of Denver high up in the rockies.Its right off I- 70 and most people don't know this but there is a beautiful private ski lake.I had the privilege of meeting the owner Lee and skiing his private lake.The lake was at one time a gravel pit and he bought it and dug it out to make it approx 2200 ft. and put in a course and a jump.Its tucked in off the freeway and sheltered by trees and most folks don't even know where it is.I think the lake is called Toueye and is a beautiful set up and really a great place to ski.He sells memberships and I think its a great group of older dedicated men who love to ski.Thanks Lee for allowing me to experience your lake.If I lived close by I sure would enjoy skiing the lake.I also picked up a fantastic boat that now sits on my lift.....Life is goodgl42b860uc63.jpg

mvscb0dpo2j7.jpg

• Baller
I used to live in Basalt, but I only snow skied. (Highlands mainly, Ajax and Snowmass). I had no idea there was even water skiing possible in the region. Only recentIy have I learned there was a ski lake close by in El Jebel, now this one in Rifle and one in Dotsero. Such opportunity lost!

• Baller

@bananaron I hear ya! It is a beautiful area in a majestic sort of way. We lived on the slopes of Mt. Sopris at 8,200 ft. and woke up to an unimpeded view of its 13,000 ft triple peaks. Photo is the view from our former bedroom window. But it was a brutal environment to live in full time. And expensive? I understand a day lift ticket for the Ski Company is now over $200... slightly more than the cost of a burger and Coke at an on-slope restaurant! ? But it still kills me to now learn there was a ski lake only a bit down valley from us. I guess water skiing just wasn’t on my radar screen back then. Wasted youth! ui6tg9mti54v.jpeg

• Baller

$53 @Sunlight...

Person I fly for knows the owner at El Jebel. Working on getting tug there. Will be in Aspen this weekend.

@Cnewbert beautiful view! Would love to live there as well, but even waaaay down valley is crazy expensive.

• Baller
@Jetsetr wow, that’s a deal in this day and age. When I lived there we could get a season’s pass for Highlands for around $500 as I recall. Even back then many of the employees who worked in Aspen had to live as far away as Rifle just to find affordable housing. And 82 was a parking lot during rush hour. Forget about it during a snowstorm.