What senate to get?

slvrbulit

• Baller
Will the senate pro be to much ski for me? I am coming off a 5-6 year old Senate Alloy and ski primarly open water at 32-34 mph 15 off, very limited time on a course. Would a new senate alloy be all the ski I need or should I go big and get the pro build? I would hate to get the alloy then a week later wish i would have gotten the otther ski instead.

• Baller

If the Pro is 20% better (my estimate) than a Lithium and that is 20% better than the alloy, you would likely feel a quicker response in turning and edge control.

It will be lighter and less beef in the tip area if you pop the handle and hit the tip it will likely crack, so that is a consideration.

I have hit my Pro twice and got small cracks that had to be patched both times. I have hit my Lithium skis numerous times and nothing happened. I assume alloy is even more durable.

Just my 2c.

• Baller

Open water - Graphite.

I have had 3 builds, Alloy, Graphite, Lithium. Graphite was the best middle ground for open water. It took me a year to get use to my Lithium after the Graphite - it was just not forgiving at all in open water conditions. It took quite a bit of form improvement and seat time to get comfortable on the Lithium. The graphite was forgiving but also had the performance when you wanted it.

• Baller

I just upgraded from a 2013 senate c to a 2020 senate graphite. I absolutely love the ski. I tried my buddies 2019 senate alloy prior to buying and the graphite was the way to go.

Thanks again to brooks for telling me to get the graphite instead of alloy.

• Baller
Along those same lines, I have a 2014 Senate Graphite. Same as OP, open water ski at 15 off 32 MPH. Any benefit of getting something newer? I love this ski, it feels really comfortable, and I should probably save my money, but if there is a technical advantage to a newer ski I could be convinced :smile:

• Baller

The newer Senates are just plain old more refined. You don’t have to be in perfect position and it will still do what you need it to do.

Have had a 14 Vapor then 17/19/20 Senate versions. Each year they are better...don’t know how they do it.

OP the Graphite would probably be the correct version for you.

Guys - similar question. I'm 49 year old intermediate. Skied growing up, but started skiing again in earnest 4 years ago. 6'1" and 210, 15 off, 30-32 mph and all open water.

Currently on a 2016 Sequence 69" and need to upgrade.

Eyeing a 67" Senate Alloy. Have read the 69" Senate is a big ski, but would appreciate feedback on 67" given my size and other characteristics.

• Baller

@Dacon62 what ‘14 vapor were you riding, a lithium?

I’m on a ‘15 vapor lithium with similar specs to the OP and debating about a new ski.

Really want a C75 or new pro build but likely don’t need either... :)

• Baller

@Kwoody51 had the ‘14 Green Vapor whatever that version was!??

It was more sensitive to position on the ski, it liked tip pressure to turn well. The new iterations of Vapor/Senate are less sensitive to body position and are just so darn easy to ski even if you are not in perfect position.

As an example my friend was on a HO S2 at the time that I had the 14 Vapor. When he tried that ski he wasn’t sold because he felt it didn’t turn as well as he was used to.

Enter the newer versions of the Senate and he is sold. First time on my 19 Senate Lithium and he was totally psyched on it. He picked up a 20 Senate Pro and hasn’t looked back. In fact anyone that tries his 20 Senate Pro is choked because they love it so much and know that this is the new ski they have to buy.

The Senate shape is amazing and will ski well whether you are free skiing and prefer the Alloy/Graphite version or are buoy hunting and prefer the Lithium/Pro version.

The guy on our lake that purchased my 19 Senate Lithium says how much he loves that ski every time I run into him. Radar is obviously doing things right.

• Baller
Just a update from me I ended up getting a great deal on a leftover 2019 senate pro. I am hoping to ski on it this weekend. I also ordered up a new Stokes big blue vest. Thanks again to everyone that responded to the post.

• Baller

Senate Lithium'20 surprised me a lot.

Skiing older Senate - with "windows" at the tip.

Compared to older one Senate'20 is much facter, easier to turn, requires less enegrgy input to do same elements and gives me (modest 18m skier) nearly 1 meter of width FOC :smile:

• Baller

@slvrbulit - just don't change bindings when changing skis. Best to get some sort of binding system that you can use on different ski brands easily and then you can demo and not be getting used to the fit.

Radar has some great products with the boa closures - but if you are using something else if it fits use it.

• Baller
@TCC71 my ski partner is 6’2” 210-ish and skis a 67 Senate. Although, most of the time he skis it at 34 mph, sometimes he slows it down to work on shorter passes. 32 mph doesn’t seem to bother him at all. He’s consistently seeing 4 ball at 35 off on his Senate. It’s a great ski