T-factor vs hardshell - anyone make the switch?

Kwoody51

• Baller

This seems like an every 2 year thing that I debate if I should move to hardshell vs stick with my t-factor. The ‘only’ complaint I have about the T-factor is at the end of multiple sets it feels very tight on my foot. Run a radar HRT and am happy with that.

I mainly aggressively free ski at 34mph 15’ off but would like to get into the course at some point.

What do you all think? Am I missing out on safety or performance by not being on a hardshell? Know hardshell are pricy but less so than a visit to Dr...

Totally get I’m not ripping off bouys at 35’ off but doesn’t mean I don’t like/ appreciate the newer tech :)

• Baller
I switched from T-Factors to Reflex, the safety of a releasable binding system convinced me after I took a few bad falls with the T-Factors and messed up my ankle because I didn't come out of the bindings. T-Factors were my binding of choice until then, still a great binding, but at 62 The Reflex system is a better option for me.

• Baller

Every time I tried the Reflex, it always pre-released on me, even when I went to a Andy Mapple,s clinic where he spent a day helping people set them up and try them out, after a few sets and some pre release, he told me, they clearly were not for me, and I should stay with the Rubber.

I guess we are all different.

• Baller
Having tried and liked the T-Factor I was thinking about changing to it from a Reflex after a handful of pre-releases over the years (they hurt), but this thread has got me thinking now as the reason I changed to a hardshell was because I tore up my ankle when I didn't come fully out of an Animal binding.

• Baller
I went the other way. From hard shells (Fogman) to T-Factors. The reason for me was ease of trying different skis. The comfort factor of shells is a big consideration though. I really don't think that potential performance enhancement should enter into your decision. (Nate)

• Baller
@Stevie Boy the reflex can be touchy like that. One gal I was talking to kept pre releasing and I noticed that when she gets into the water she would sit down and poke the ski forwards which pushed the cuff backwards and would unseat the release unit (gap the reflex backwards away from the shell) This only happened when getting in off the dock because she would sit down instead of jumping off the platform.

• Baller
would agree with @Deanoski . Prerelease is the biggest risk with hardshells. I'm sticking with double tfactors. I know they'll stay on the ski, and I've not experienced problems with them releasing me in a fall that warrants it.

• Baller

Seems I’m hearing a lot of love for the T-factors still which is why I went that way in the 1st place.

Pre-releasing doesn’t sound fun. I can crash just fine on my own... don’t need any help from the equipment!

The itch to try other things sometimes is hard to ignore :)

I made the switch from a front T-factor to a reflex. Took a while for me to get used to, but I love it. I also loved the boot, but similar to some posts above, I had several falls that I did not release which caused me more hurt. It was an easy choice for me to switch.