The 2021 DV8 featuring VersaTail by Connelly Skis

ROBOT

• Baller

I looked at the DV8 up close and personal and spent some time talking with Seth about it. Time will tell if it's a game changer but the idea is simply brilliant. I remember back in the day all of us with squared tail HO Extreme's filing the tail round because a few of the top skiers gave it a try - and it made a real difference.

The possible options to experiment with the tails are intriguing. Asymmetrical shapes for on-side/off-side turns, additional length for those between size skiers. Think about a ski from a 68" mold that is cut down to a 64" and have variable tail blocks to get to a combination of a 65/66" mid- or wide- body ski. Or a 66" mold ski with a 2-3" block to make it act like a longer ski. Lots of combinations. Combinations that can effectively lower the production costs to if it ultimately means eliminating a mold.

So if it works at billed the question to me becomes fit and finish. The example they had in the booth was really nice with the 'inserts' in the tail protruding enough that the tail piece snuggly fit against the machined end of the ski and the bolts simply held it in place. From what I saw, I would have no concerns about it being a gimmick or poor quality from a fit/finish standpoint.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@jjackkrash

Check out Joel Howley‘s YouTube channel.

There are a couple videos of skiers testing the DV8.

Funniest of all is Greg trying out the square tail piece. Seems not to like it. :D

As a side note - I found it interesting (aka telling) that Manon skied on her 2018 GT at the Malibu Open.

• Baller
@DavidN, ya, I watch all Joel Howley y-tube videos. They are great. It sounded like on that last guy he made a few changes in addition to the ski and usually skis on a 68 and had kind a rough time. In any event, I keep hoping the 68's ship before my season is over so I can see for myself. :)

• Baller

I've skied it - I'm the tall heavy guy in Joels latest vids skiing terribly on a 67 and generally just clowning around having some fun on the water, which is easy to do with @JoelHowley. I actually found something positive about all three tail blocks - what I can say for sure is that each tail block makes a significant difference to how the ski performs. I was shocked at how different each one was - I can see this evolving over time as people experiment with different tails. I think it is a great idea - especially for someone like me - I'm 240+ pounds skiing long lengths with a hope of getting shorter soon - so as I get fitter, lighter and skiing shorter ropes I can then perhaps go from the stock to the round... Those vids of me skiing are pretty bad - haven't had a lot of time on the water due to covid and winter over here. Skiing a 67 took a lot of effort as well - more than I thought it would. I can't wait to try a 68 one day when I'm skiing more consistantly... I can say Joels knowledge about ski design and performance is next level - the guy can talk all day about the subject and why he truely believes in the Connell philosophy on ski design.

• Baller

@LK_skier, thanks for popping in! I am hoping the 68's come in before our weather turns for good for winter here in the Pac NW. It sounds like I'll get one of the first ones out of the mold sold to the general public, but they keep getting delayed for whatever reason. Tell Joel to keep the vids coming and me and my boy and his cousins will keep watching.

• Baller
@LK_Skier, I just got back from the lake. My boy is just learning to drive (tonight was the first time he's pulled me slalom) so I free skied instead of hitting the course. I tried setting it up using the deep and short setting and stock binding location; I forgot how much I hate trying to measure for bindings when it is really just a guess where my heal is in the Vapor bindings and I also really dislike trying to get the fin set especially when my primary set of calipers craps out midway through the set up. Anyway, all that said, the ski felt pretty sweet and stable and fast and I think with some minor tweaking its going to be awesome. Also, I used the stock tail and I really want to try the round tail. I'm a big yoker and I think a little more angle/easier turning will be a benefit. I generate plenty of speed and have been told I have a good stack for my skill level but getting angle on my offside without breaking form is usually my big issue. I just wish I had more season and daylight left.

• Baller
@jjackkrash - I was pretty spent to be honest by the time I tried it. I have this knack of wheeling my ski at times so I thought the round would exsaserbate that and that the square would help me - that didn't seem to be the case - I actually had a few really clean turns on the round - the ski seemed to slip a little more while still riding deep though. I actually found something good about all of them - to me that suggests that the stock will suit me. Perhaps as my technique improves a round will help - since that video I've actually started skiing a lot better so I'd love to try it again with some form. Get a video - I'm sure @JoelHowley would love to see you on each different tail - start on the stock then go to your preference... video your thoughts and send it to him or pm me with a dropbox or google link, and I can pass it on to him

• Baller

@JoelHowley and @Connelly_Skis_Inc and @CollinSpradlin

The instructions that come with the ski say that you can more accurately get a DFT measurement with the tail piece off. Can you post a video of the measuring technique to do so? (I'd also love to see a video of you measuring all three fin adjustments just to make sure I am matching the way Connelly measures for stock settings).

Also, any specific tips for getting an accurate front binding measurement? (I use Radar Vapors, and it feels like I am just guessing when I use the bottom-stitch method as I am not sure this is what Connelly intends with the posted numbers on binding location).

Thanks in advance. I want to make sure I have found stock settings before playing with the tail.

• Baller
@bigtex2011, I am maybe the last guy to ask about setup, especially with how inconsistent I ski. I have had my best luck when Wiley's does the measurements and setup (Darren is a huge help). When something moves or when I try to play with settings on my own it all goes to hell and a hand basket. But I am trying to learn.

• Baller
I am pretty sure right now I am right on 29 7/8 inch (Connelly's rec for a 68) measured from the lower stitch. But I also drilled a hole through an old liner at the heal and measured it and figure the back of my heal is at least .6 inches farther forward than this. So based on @JoelHowley's comment above, I may be .6 inches too far forward and its driving me nuts right now.

• Baller
I noticed a difference in my Radar Senate going from a 2015 to 2017 (not exactly sure on what year my prior Senate was). The 2015 had a rounded tail and the 2017 had a more square tail. I'm a bigger guy (215lbs) on a 69" ski. The 2017 seemed faster, and the deep water starts were easier. So I'm a believer in the tail shape making a noticeable difference.

• Baller

I got a new Radar Carbon binding plate with micro-adjustments and remounted and I think I'm dead bang on to bottom stitch (29 & 7/8 Inches). Which happens to be one micro-adjustment from the the center of the plate. At least now I feel like I'm in a position to make adjustments going forward. (And a new front boot to boot).

q6nd1tldn5oj.jpeg

• Baller

@lpskier, those are rectangular machinists blocks. I used to use them coupled with the engineer's squares to get pinewood derby axles square to the body. I squared the ruler to the table and can move the blocks back and forth with the engineer's squares so they are level with the raised ski.

• Baller

Rode the DV8 last night for the 1st time. Still getting used the different feel coming from a Radar and KD. Ran 2-28's and 4-32's. Felt like it had a lots of tip pressure. Took another set at lunch today. Same fin position but moved both bindings back an 1/8". Ran 1-28, 3-32's, 1-35 and 2@38. I got crushed at 1 so I was assback going to 2.

1st impression is the carryout is great and it has a really nice offside.

• Baller

@JoelHowley I skied yesterday evening about 10 minutes before dark. I only took 4 passes but ran a nice 35. The ski feels good with no drama at all. I'll try to get some pics or a video. I've only had to make 1 binding move since my first ride 3 days ago and the fin has been in the same place. That almost never happens. It's definitely got some real potential

I'm running 2.455, 6.950. .770 and 7 degrees on the wing with the VT tail piece