Radar Profile boots worn out, get Pulse or Carbitex Vapor boot?

Fast351

• Baller

Just a little about me. I'm not a hardcore course skier, I free ski only, 15 off at 32 MPH. I'm 205#, 6'1", and 48 years old. I would like to run a course someday, but honestly I don't have access to one so I don't see it becoming an obsession like it is for some here. I do ski. A lot. We live on a lake, and with this COVID BS, one positive is I've been skiing almost every day, sometimes two or three sets. I'm up to 80 sets this year, and I hope to crack 100 by Labor day. I ski on a 69" Radar Senate Graphite. I kind of stumbled onto this ski by accident. I was skiing on an HO Triumph before, but after trying on a set of Profile boots at a boat show, I knew I needed real boots as opposed to the rubber wrap bindings on the Triumph. Ended up finding a package deal on the Senate/Profile setup in 2014.

In 2016, the rear binding tore out the lower lace. Radar took care of me and sold me a set of new and improved Profile boots for a significant discount in winter of 2017. Fast forward maybe 200 sets later, and the back of the boots are starting to tear pretty bad. The front is worse than the rear, but they're both going to be due for replacement this winter.

My dilemma: The Pulse boot looks to be the follow-on to the Profile boot, but the Carbitex Vapor boot is not a whole lot more money. Considering my ski level, which boot would you choose and why? Also, I wear a 10.5W shoe, but tried the 2014 Profiles in an 11 and they jammed my toes uncomfortably, so I ended upsizing to a size 12. They're a little loose so I wear a set of 2mm water socks to take up the extra space. With the new moldable liners, should I go back to an 11?

One final question. Is it worth jumping from a 2014 Senate Graphite to a 2020 version of the same ski? If I'm going to exercise the credit card, might as well give it a workout :smile:

• Baller

You would definitely enjoy the Vapor Carbitex boots and also the new ski. If it's financially doable then I say go for it.

Also if you are just freeskiing then give 28 off a try, it's a lot more fun and the wake is way better at that length and shorter on most ski boats.

@Fast351

• Baller

As far as I know the Carbitex Vapor boots fit narrower than the Pulse.

I have a narrow foot in a size 10 and the size 11 Vapor Carbitex fit perfectly. Think the Pulse will be a better fit for you as you stated your food is wide?!

As far as skis, I have owned a 17/19 and 20 Senate and 20 is my favorite.

And just to confirm that the newer iterations of the Radar line keep getting better my ski buddy had a 17 Vapor and now a 20 Vapor and he definitely prefers his 20.

Yes, it’s worth moving from a 14 to 20 Senate...no question at all!!