Is it time...for a "senior" ski?

Tbub

It could be that time. I am turning 71 this year and have become very frustrated this season. I love this sport it but could be time for a change in gear. I have always had very bad body position on ball 2 and 4. Breaking at the waist, looking at the buoy, left foot forward. You get the picture. I ski at 30 mph and on occasion gotten into 28 off. Not even close this year. Because of health issues, I have gone from 184 pounds to 189. Medication. I have been skiing on a 2017 67 inch Radar Senate Lithium and I love that ski and the company. But I am even blowing deep waters more than ever. The Radar Union looks interesting but not sure if I am ready for that move. I just want to enjoy the sport again. Thoughts. Ajskier, no smart ass comments. That ain't gonna happen. Cheers to all. Tom

• Baller
My father is about your age and was getting very discouraged a few years ago (similar weight and 15off, 28mph skier), last summer he picked up an HO Omni Carbon, I don't know if it made much of a difference for deep water starts, but he has found that there is less drag and the tail rides a bit higher at slower speeds. His offside turn has improved a lot as well, with more traditional high end skis his hips would fall behind, he is able to keep his hips up through the turn now. This season he is skiing better than he did a decade ago and having fun again. I am not sure it is the ticket for you, but, it helped him out a lot. It might be worth taking a look at the Omni series.

Thanks for all the great comments so far. Just spoke with Brooks Wilson and he suggested I make some tweaks to the ski. Move bindings back a bit and add more fin. You can't beat Radar's customer service. Said to let him know how it goes. Class.

• Baller_

At 189lbs and 30mph, the smallest ski for deep shortline would be 68". For longer lines, I would get on a 69 or 70". At a minimum, that would offer a significant increase in surface area for deep water starts and make life much easier.

You could also go to something like a Senate that is a little wider.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

Grab a 67" HO Syndicate OMNI and don't look back, you will love it. The OMNI is very easy to get up on, fast, turns without thinking and is a very capable course ski through 32' off and beyond. The OMNI has clean edge technology in the tail which is how it can be a little wider in the tail but still perform like a normal slalom ski.

• Baller
Man, I sure hope I am still skiing in 20 years -- thanks for the motivation. FWIW, at 30 mph and 22 mph, and your weight of about 190, I would try a 69" Senate. In my experience, the Senate is more stable and forgiving than a Vapor. 69 might be a bit large, but my guess is that is would be a good option to try.

• Baller
I am age 76 and ski on a 69" Radar Senate Pro. The size is right for me at 30.4 mph and my 190 lb. weight. I start at -22 and sometimes get into -35. It works just fine at 30.4 and all those line lengths. I'm looking forward to trying one or more 68" skis this fall, but my guess is that I will end up back on the 69". You are much too young for a "senior" ski!!! Unless, of course, my 69" Senate is a senior ski. Who is to say?

• Baller

The 67 is too short, and it’s not the ski causing you to break at the hips on the even side balls.

Try a 69 and slow the boat down to get your technique/fundimentals back. The larger ski will be easier to start as well. Maybe try a Union or Katana. This is SUPPOSED to be fun. If it’s frustrating (been there myself) you won’t have fun. Katana is also a great platform, easy to deep water start and your 30mph won’t be an issue.

I’m not sure what this obsession with high boat speeds and poor form/technique is (not the OP) but we see a lot of “Im skiing 15 off at 36 but I can’t turn or cross the wakes what am I doing wrong”.

Slow the boat down to 26 and get fundamentals down prior to increasing the speed.

• Baller
I am making the change to old guy (Men 7) 32mph speed. I have skied on a 67" for a number of years now at 190lbs. I elected to stay with a 67" length, but with a greater width and therefore greater surface area, Radar Senate Pro. Has been a good change for me so far and am skiing better than ever. Even at 34 mph I am skiing near my PB on a regular ski.

• Baller

Because of back issues I have been skiing at 30 mph the last few years on a Radar Katana. I have skied into 35 off on that ski and run tons of 22 and 28 offs on it. I have also recently run some 32 mph passes on it as my back feels a little better. I weight about 205 and ski on the 67”.

I think the Union would work great. The Katana frankly turns great, is easy to ski on and is a lot of fun. I have to imagine that the Union would be even better.

Skiing is about having fun. It doesn’t matter what is under your feet if it performs well and you have fun on it.

• Baller

I'm recovering from back surgery and went to a 67 inch Radar Union this year to ease back into skiing. Have run 34/28off on it.

Told @brooks at nationals that Radar should make a higher end version for the 30/32mph skier looking to run some buoys.