New Front Boot Upgrade Question

Woody74

• Baller

Short back story; I got back into slalom skiing in 2018 after a 15 year break. I have been skiing on an HO Syndicate Omni with HO Freemax front boot and Radar HRT rear. Back in the day I was skiing on Kidder with double rubber highwraps but am really liking the HRT on the back currently. I feel like I would like to upgrade my front boot though. I mostly free ski (fairly aggressively) and attempt the course @ 15 and 22 off a few times a season.

My first question is would the new 2020 HO Skymax be noticeably better than my current Freemax boot or fairly similar in performance? The other two options I am considering are the D3 T-factor front and the Radar Carbitex Vapor boot. Any advice or input from people that have used these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

• Baller

Joe, can’t speak for the HO’s you mention but the Vapor boot is one of the best performing and most comfortable boots you’ll find. The T-Factor is a great boot too if you like the old rubber feel. Personally, the only HO boot I’ve used that I would recommend is the Syndicate, but the old rubber Animal is a classic good rubber boot too.

Boots can make the ski. If the feel is not confidence inspiring, get something better.

• Baller
@aupatking thank you for the reply! The more I research the more I like the sound of the Vapor boot. I definitely want something that makes me feel very connected to the ski. I believe the plate on the Vapor boot is compatible with my HO or am I wrong? I liked the rubber boots I ran in the past but I'll be honest they were less than comfortable. I assume that has all changed with the new T-factor boots though.

• Baller

@Woody74 yes!

And any current front boot will mount. HO skis don’t have extra inserts for a rear short plate but most current rear boots will mount too. Radar rear featherframes are a bit short and won’t be able to use the full range without adding an extension plate.

• Members
I have both vapor and T factor boots. Love them both! Vapors you can wear all day and T -factors are good for your set. The T-factors seem a little for solid on the lateral support and give you a higher wrap feel. Having said all that I am moving to a front hard shell in a week.

• Baller
@Kwoody51 everything I have been reading the last three days says exactly what you confirmed, the T factors have great lateral support and the Vapors have excellent comfort as well as excellent support. Being away from the sport for 15 years I missed a lot of the evolution of equipment and all I know are open toed boots and tend to lean toward the T factor for that reason. With all of that being said I haven't seen a single negative review of the Vapors either. Possibly a win-win whichever boot I choose?

• Baller

I used Connelly stoker wrap bindings for years, tried Wiley’s high wraps and didn’t like the closed toe feel.

T factors pop up on ski it again pretty often. Pick up a front and give it a try. I’m certain if you don’t like them you can resell on SIA if you don’t like it.