Needing ski recommends

MamaCat

I find Youtube reviews out there lacking on female skis. Any input is welcome. I'm open to male/unisex skis too.

Anyways, I grew up on a teen size Connelly Silhouette slalom that I really liked. Now that I'm adulting at 41, I finally have my own used ski-specifc boat yahoo! But no relevant ski.

I picked up an old HO ASX thrift store men's ski with decent bindings to jog my technique memory. It's the correct-ish 65 length and amazingly turns better than a newer Radar I borrowed from my sister to try.

Maybe hers was too entry level? The Radar felt cheap with no carve-- too much on the surface.

I'm feeling I should splurge for something I can progress on since I'm a fairly strong athlete at 145 lbs and 5'7". I rock climb and mountain bike too so I have serious biceps that can handle.

But I'm not advanced enough to know exactly what brands to lean to in 2020. And I don't want to do cartwheels on something that I try to push on turns and find is too aggressive.

I like to (almost) fully commit and scream across the wake as hard as I can, and work on deeper turns. Some of the women's skis look so wide, also with foamy pink and teal bindings that look like they're from a Disney movie, ugh gag. I don't want that.

I get nervous spending the money, wondering if the shop guys think I need to be pampered with a planky glittery girly ski. Or the opposite. That I am an old lady who can overspend on carbon, and maybe don't really quite need that level. I'm drooling over trying carbon though. Or even just the Omni with the nature graphics. I like to support companies who don't think women always want hot pink. We just want hot. Thanks for listening yo!

• Baller

Good. Never apologize for being hard core

However, at risk of possibly reading into it too much, if you actually find slalom very bicep intensive, we can help you with that, and enhance the skiing experience as well as endurance.

Yes, Omni and Lyric come to mind first.

Perhaps Lyric if you like boat speeds at comp level, Aspect or Omni if you like to tone it down a little

Reply with your water conditions you encounter most as well.

and send pics..of your boat

I'm just joking about my bicpes to flex. They are not big haha. But holy crap yeah, my tense tendonitis arms are the first thing to fatigue. Tips are welcome. My dad used to be a competitive waterskiier (that's how I learned) but I don't see him often enough to get some advice.

My last speed was 29 on mediocre water. I felt on even smoother water I could maybe go up a notch. I have 3 boys and have to try to wait for them to play first, then take the best evening water I can find at dusk with family load on the boat.

But I get up fine. I liked the easy pop up on my sister's Radar but didn't like how it had no edge or carve. Maybe that was my lack of controlling such a different squarer sidecut ski.

There is usually some amount of predictable swells from other boats at our busy lakes. I have a low profile Moomba Outback that's a decade and a half old.

One of my local shops has one last Omni left in my size, but I hate the bindings on it. I may go over today to see if they'll sell it to me blank or put ones that fit better on it.

It seemed uncommon that they had XL bindings on a women's 65. The shop guy didn't really wanna be a salesman yesterday.

• Baller
@MamaCat Glad to hear that you are having fun tackling the sport! As for "women's" vs men's skis, the women's models are just mens skis with different graphics, sometimes maybe a little softer flex. If you prefer the unisex graphics, then don't worry about flex as you are strong from the sounds of it anyway.

Thanks everyone. I'm really appreciating you guys reinforcing what I'm thinking about. Often when you are a woman walking into a shop (esp at 41) they talk to you like you don't know anything.

Then you come home questioning yourself and wondering if spending all the cash is a mistake.

I have never bought my snowboards and skis without demoing them. And never as a package. So I agree I should buy blank if it doesn't have a stellar setup at the get go.

I hate some of the latest bindings that feel cheap, like a platform croc sandal that only sort of cinches. Maybe I'm just used to the snugglier hug of my HO Venoms. If my old bindings are still relevant, maybe they'll line up on a new deck. I need to ck that.

• Supporting Member
Local shop probably has no relevant knowledge. Consider dealing with Performance Ski and Surf (can find them by googling or in the sponsors list on this site) or directly with a ski company you like, such as Radar. Then you'll find someone who asks the relevant questions and can help you select some gear that matches your goals and physical attributes.

• Supporting Member

Oh, and arms straight! You want to create leverage like in tug of war. Engaging your biceps simply pulls you up to the handle and (dramatically) decreases your leverage. If you don't believe me, try it with a handle tied to something sturdy. You'll feel the pressure through your legs decrease when you bend your arms and increase when you straighten them.

After that little exercise, never bend them again :).

• Baller
Definitely check out what Radar and HO have to offer. I’d also check out Denali skis. Even if you don’t have a course to ski through - your idea of fun: rocketing across the wakes, throwing up some big spray, carving turns and the joy of skiing suggests that you would love any of these skis.

I went to look again at the Omni. The shop guy at Taylor's Boats was as always, sort of a big asshole to me. So I left. They refused to sell me a blank, or even consider asking a manager about a swapout for the more correct sized bindings. I'm exhausted being a woman in a ski shop wanting to look in person and do right by myself. And I'm not even a Karen haha.

I also prefer buying local if I can help it. I'm headed to ck out season leftovers at another shop. Thx for support and encouragement! Spending the cash is nerving me out. But I know I deserve more than my ok thrift store ski or a new ill fitted package-- esp if I have the thrill and passion for it. I'll look up Perf too.

• Baller
I think you will like the Omni. Just remember what @Than_Bogan said about arms straight. Say it out loud at the end of every turn if you have to, that's what I do if I find myself going back to old habits (it also forces you to breath). Enjoy and let us know how your first few rides go.

Thanks @vtmecheng. I learned to ski with my grip in the vertical handle hand stack and to let go with my outer arm before I round my turn back across. So I have to remember to ck that my elbows don't do pull ups, since they naturally want to sneak a little flex in that position and when pulling back through the center. Great reminder.

• Baller

Also....check out YouTube videos about fin set up. You want to make sure that the fin and boots are set up to factory suggested numbers.

I have watched guys eye-ball fin set up just to put the ski in the display rack, often nowhere close to how it should be.

Once even got a great deal on a ski that had been returned because the first buyer said he couldn't ski on it. When I checked the fin numbers, it was so far off that nobody could have skied it.

• Baller_

@MamaCat Sorry to hear they would not sell you a blank ski, if you want to give us a call at our shop (Performance Ski and Surf) I would be more than happy to help, or anyone in the shop. As it was mentioned before most companies do offer the package skis, however we sell package, blank, what ever is needed, also I don't push pink skis just because you a girl, anyone here who can remember to me skiing years ago, I skiied on a pink ski, and still have it (several of them actually) to this day. But as I said please feel free to shoot me a PM / email / call which ever works best and Ill see what I can do for you!

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller
@Jordan if she got the regular Omni it does not have an adjustable fin. The bindings will need to be adjusted to stock. I learned these last few sets that binding adjustments of even 1/8" make a huge difference on my Carbon Omni. It's the difference between me over engaging the tip some and having a smooth turn.

Congrats! Sounds like you made a great ski selection. And I applaud you for shopping local. As @Jordan mentioned above, if it is the Omni Carbon with an adjustable fin, validate the fin and boot measurements before skiing.

Stock measurements can be found here:

https://www.hosports.com/pdf/ho-skis-settings-chart-2020.pdf

SKI MODEL FT BOOT LENGTH DEPTH DISTANCE FROM TAIL WING ANGLE

65" CARBON OMNI 29.00" 6.880” 2.475” 0.730” 7 DEGREES

To make the measurements you need to remove the wing, here is a link to a pdf that has printable paper wing angles for resetting the wing (if you don't have access to a set of wing angle gauges). A great project for your kiddos :smiley:

https://finwhispering.com/product/paper-wing-gauges/

Now you pros are talking over my head haha.

I put my old Vapor bindings on and went out yesterday. Everything felt really good and I liked my choice so far. I took things cautious with wind, mediocre water and thick smokey air.

But I could tell I made a good choice. It had responsive carve and helped shoot me across the wake where I normally get timid.

I put my front boot all the way forward and then moved it back one screw, matching it up to my old HO stance. I put my back boot as close as I could to the front boot (so my knees could have that nice cozy stack).

I left the fin alone and haven't looked up anything about it yet or asked my dad. It didn't look like I could do anything without the calipers anyway? I like reading all your comments. It's helping me learn a lot more. My 10 yr old took a photo to show my half-effort yesterday. I need to work on my willingness to take a wipeout.

mt6j98c1u3ij.jpg

• Baller
@MamaCat Looks like you are having fun. On binding placement, just measure from the back of the front binding to the back edge of the ski with a tape measure. The back of the front binding should be about 29" from the back of the ski for a women's 65 size Omni.

• Supporting Member

Just to follow-up on the technical advice: It's totally fine you have your arms bent at that moment as you are about to reconnect. But your very next move should be to actively straighten them and let your upper body go in line with the rope, thus putting your entire mass against the rope.

(This is all based on an assumption you want to improve slalom course capability. If not, IGNORE!)

• Baller
@Than_Bogan Working on good body position is solid advice for free skiers too. Keeping arms straight and body in a strong stacked position will let her get across the wakes more safely and with more speed, making the next turn more fun. It will also let her ski longer because she won't be limited by her biceps, which will scream for mercy if kept bent. It's the same reason I always tell free skiers to buy at least a mid-range handle and well fitting gloves, they equal longer ski runs and more fun.

• Baller

The biggest single trick to free skiing is to turn in with the boat. Since there is nothing setting your width or timing usually freeskiers try to cut back across too soon even on a faster tempo than an actual course. The course has way more time in it than freeskiers think it has so they tend to cut back early narrow etc.

And get slack.

• Supporting Member

@BraceMaker I think you're making an important point, and I definitely make sure to focus on staying in rhythm with the boat when I do free ski (since it is prep for the course).

But I couldn't disagree more about the course having more time than free skiers think. Every free skier I've brought to the course has had to stop thinking about everything else, unlearn their current leverage position, and then learn how to generate enough cross course speed to actually get to the buoy with width and on time.

What I see free skiers do that fundamentally doesn't work in the course is they focus on fast turns. They almost always need to cut MUCH faster and turn much slower.

• Baller

@Jetsetr @Than_Bogan - not disagreeing with the perception of time courses make things feel fast.

But when I freeski a bunch and then hit the course I am almost always way too early to 1 ball and have to work on being less aggressive on my gate.

When I ski the course and then freeski what immediately happens is I have to come up with some mental way to do a pre-turn and carry out before trying to turn because I will immediately start having slack in my turns. This comes from not having a target and no reason to preturn so I end up skiing narrower in a faster tempo.

Try it on a big lake, pull someone freeskiing and then aim right into the course. Nearly everyone I pull this way has a slower tempo in the course than freeskiing - not talking about width because it is surely narrower for most freeskiers.

• Supporting Member

"But when I freeski a bunch and then hit the course I am almost always way too early to 1 ball and have to work on being less aggressive on my gate."

That is shocking to me, and certainly I have never experienced or witnessed anything similar. And honestly that doesn't even make that much sense to me. How is it even possible to be too early to 1 ball? The only thing I can imagine is that you're running way too narrow and getting off the edge too soon which can sometimes "feel" early, but is actually terrible and certainly wouldn't be fixed by being less aggressive on the gate.

Color me confused.