Chet Raley ski school for me?

tbarile

• Baller
I've been slaloming since I was 10 (now 45) but always on crappy water and a boat that had a wave built for wakeboarding not skiing. This summer I got an '02 196 and instantly became addicted. I started the summer at 30mph 15' occasionally making all 6 to consistently making it at 33mph 15' and 22'. Yes I'm an able bodied man so I've bumped up to 34 but only make 50% of my passes. I want to get better! I work on my stack but 35 years of bad habits are hard to break. I went out with a few times with a buddy who is a tournament skier and he gave some pointers but I know I need some consistent coaching to get better. My wife has graciously agreed to allow me to go to ski school while we are on spring break. Her caveat is that it has to be in S. Florida so that's it's warm (our spring break is early so Orlando is out). I can only find Chet Raley. I know he's a good coach but would he be good for someone of my level? My 9 year old daughter would also like to go. She's been slaloming for 2 years and I swear she has better form than I do.

I've heard good things about Chet and my impression is that he can work with any skier level. I have some friends who have been coached by him and have nothing but good things to say. You and I sound a lot a like in that my early years of skiing were in crappy water and no instruction. The perfect storm for horrible habits. Interestingly, I am set to ski with him in October!

• Baller
I'll echo the other posters, Chet is one of the best. You won't regret going to ski with him. The biggest problem is that his coaching slots fill up FAST. Check his website and look at the calendar. There are instructions on how to reserve a spot. The night your dates open up you need to be at your computer ready to book. I hope you get in, oh and welcome to your new addiction!

• Baller

Chet is the hardest working coach in the business. Both myself and my Daughter that was young, skied with him a lot. Bring a video cam to capture all the things he is telling you and your Daughter, but tell whoever is videoing not to talk while in the boat. Just listen and learn.

• Baller
I've never skied at Chet's school. My inlaws are in North Miami and I'm usually there a week or so every winter, as far as I know McGinnis is the furthest south school on the east coast of Fl. There is a club in Miami but I'm not sure if lessons are available. McGinnis sight is an old quarry site so it's a little more apt to get blown out on certain days but still pretty nice. It was always really convenient for a quick set in the morning before heading to the beach.