Feedback re Radar HRT

Clydesdale

• Baller
I’m a life long RTP skier. Tried a double boot a couple times and hated that set-up. But, I like to experiment with things at the end of the season and so this year I tried a Radar HRT. I have to say I REALLY like it. I keep it loose so I have some up/down flex, but not much side to side. I feel like I’m skiing with more power, and maintaining better angle after the second wake. Not sure exactly why I have better angle after the wake. Maybe because I’m in a stronger position I’m slowing my pre-turn transition? Dunno, but I love it and I’m keeping it!

• Baller
I'm in the regular size, 11.5 foot I ski with mine laces fully loose and I can get my foot into it once up but I wouldn't want to try it unless the lake is long. Thought the spraymakers episode on double boots was interesting with how many pros that have transferred to RTP have their RTP so tight/fitted that they cannot kick in.

• Baller
I second @The_MS but also..... unlike an RTP your foot size starts at the heel. So for my size 9 foot I was left with about an inch of base/padding in front of my toe, which then means I have an inch or so separating my rear foot toe from my front boot. With the aluminum plate I was able to trim off that excess inch and remount more forward on the plate so my rear foot toe alomst touches the back of my front boot.

• Baller

@MS that is exactly what I found. Sent the feather back and got aluminum and then moved binding forward on the plate.

I was coming off double radar boots and wore my back boot loose to allow for my heel to move up and down. The HTP does that but prevents the side to side that I don’t like.

I got the boa option and locked it down and haven’t had to fiddle with it.

XL plate and am size 12. Couldn’t squeeze into the regular size. Maybe someone with a narrow 12 could.

I am both feet in on starts.

• Baller
@Clydesdale did you keep your heal fairly planted when you were in the toe plate? I’ve been in double boots for 15+ years and have noticed this year I’m really struggling with getting a balanced stance on my off side. I’m thinking of going the opposite way you are to get more freedom for my back foot. I lifted my rear heal in my bindings but I’m thinking some rotational freedom may help. Do you feel any of the improvements for you are from the HRT preventing your foot from rotating?

• Baller
Previously on double boots which i did like and skied well with. i've been using vapor front, Hrt rear for 2 seasons. immediately felt comfortable with adequate support. having said that the HRT offers much more forward flex and as a result i felt like a suddenly had much more freedom of movement on top of the ski. i do think using a hrt or rtp you stand on the ski differently than in double boots. for me it feels better using the HRT, most notable wake to ball getting tall or "straight" legs is much easier.

• Baller

I have been on a rear toe for decades, switched to HRT and really like it!

I start with one foot in & wiggle the back foot in when out of the water, it takes a little practice but it is worth it.. I am surprised that a hybrid rear boot has not been invented previously..but I agree with @The_MS the feather plate should have a universal hole pattern.. so I potentially don’t have to make an extra hole..

• Baller

@Bdecker i can easily change between my rear half boot and the HRT. But my rear style boot is cut lower than the r style reflex boot. The HRT is a little less to deal with. I have an older version and I replaced the laces with bungy laces.

Definitely go with the aluminum plate.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller_

Just started using an HRT, lace-up version. I'm still getting up on one and kicking in, and once I adjusted to a different kick-in motion, am having no trouble with it. I'm slowly tightening it more and more to find where it's as tight as it can be while still being able to kick in.

Has anyone ever tried replacing the laces with elastic laces (like those found on the D3 T-Factor)? The HRT laces don't stretch much at all. I'm wondering if replacing them with the D3s, which stretch quite a lot, would allow me to get the boot tighter-but-still-kickable, since the laces will stretch when I kick in - sort of like being able to force the laces "looser" on the kick in but then have them go "tighter" once I'm in.

Obviously stretch could then mean the overall effect is less tightness, since any movements while skiing will also be subject to stretch, but I figure I'm (hopefully) not making any huge moves with my back foot in the course anyways, so I'm not really gonna be pushing the stretch hard.

Thoughts?

• Baller
@SlalomSteve I replaced the laces on my HRT with stretchy laces. Have used it like this for a couple of years now. Very little difference from my low cut r style half boot. And like @ScottScott I do not use all the lace loops.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller_
@mmosley899 - Cool, I'll give that a shot! Does it matter what kind of stretchy laces? I have 2 spare T-Factor top laces, I could use one of those, though they're pretty thick - would T-Factor thinner lower laces be better, worse, or doesn't matter? (over-anxious perfectionist here lol). Or even something like Lock Laces? I also want to replace the clasp that it came with, not crazy about it.

• Baller

@Bdecker - I went from reflex r style rear to boa HRT rear, I think the r style rear locks in a little snugger, but I couldn’t get my foot back in while in the water if I crashed.

HRT durability was much better than the r-style which chewed up liners and rusted out parts. HRT is simpler and easier, and felt equivalent from a performance perspective.

I cut back the front of the HRT plate to get my big toe right up against the back of the front boot.

• Baller_
@Jmoski yeah I also cut off the front of the plate and pad to get it closer to my front boot. I'm not sure why they design it as long as it is - there was quite a bit of extra footpad in front of my toe, I'm size 10.5 shoe, and the Standard-size HRT is for shoe 7-11, so if anyone has a much bigger foot, they'd do to the XL anyways.