Worlds First Gate Guide system

Dacon62

• Baller

Great autosteer! Another 3-5k to the price of the boat, and a major challenge to diagnose, maintain and parts support as boat gets older.

We continue to find more ways to increase

cost and complexity to the support and then struggle to attract more participation

Is everyone having that hard of a time to drive relatively straight? Until you are at 38 or beyond a few inches or 10 doesn’t really matter.

• Baller
I was Jodi posted up some pictures with the gate guide system before. It is colored buoys in the water that look to be in line with 1 ball but on the other side of the course. The color corresponds to your rope length. It tells you how wide your pull out should be for each line length. The longer the rope the wider you should be.

• Baller

@JackQ I couldn,t agree with you more, but it means skiers, especially the Pro,s get the same pull, as everybody else, I believe that there is some movement in the boat, so it will not block the skier, however there may have to be a adjustment in how you ski behind it for some people, as there was going from perfect pass to zero off.

A little bit off topic, but I do not have the full run down on it to start a new thread.

• Baller
@WIRiverRat is correct, although they are in line with the gates. The idea is to reference the colored bouy of your line length to the 2-4-6 line to know how far beyond the 2-4-6 line to pull out. @hman66 Most 8 ball courses have a zero ball (unless they have a fancy pully system to pull down the unused balls like lapoints does.) A zero ball can be a cue when to turn in.... As far as width goes, it could help if you have a hard time seeing the 2-4-6 line, but doesn't really give you a cue as to how far beyond you should be, as different line lengths want different widths.

• Baller

Cool idea and I would be interested to try it.

However, once I started focusing on height, I quit thinking about width. Especially at zero.

On my pull out, I am trying to get high on the boat as my objective, which results in width. When I focused on width only, I typically did not get high enough on the boat, and did not have enough space to get rotated and accelerate into the first wake. I got sick of running out of room so I got higher and consequently wider. Height on the boat is fairly easy to see from the skiers perspective. But these extra marker buoys would also be easy to see if width was the focus.

Anyone got a picture?

• Baller
@dave2ball it has nothing to do with the boat. It is a group of buoys opposite side from one ball. Designed to help skiers learn proper gate width. A zero ball eventually gets in the way of your turn in.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

To think we had to learn how to hot stick, counter steer, and hand time, all at the same time, and look at time segments on a small chart until we memorized them.

Boats were a tenth of what they cost now though. Driving was a challenge and fun!