Anyone skiing at The Villages Florida Lake Miona Ski Club

MikeT

Going to be spending 3 weeks at the Villages, Florida in November and was wondering if anyone knows if the club is active? I see some online presence but no website. A slalom course is advertised and they appear to have a barefoot Mastercraft. Will likely ski at one or two of the local ski schools, but I'm looking to buy a home there and it would be nice to have a local ski site

• Baller
A friend of ours skis with the club, so it is active. And yes, they primarily use a MC barefoot outboard boat and there is a course on Lake Miona. I haven’t seen it in a couple of years but I hear it is in pretty good shape, though not a surveyed course so it’s not exactly perfect. We ski on a nearby lake, currently with no fully intact course, just one that has been a bit neglected. But if you want to free ski it is a very nice lake so give us a shout (‘20 Prostar).

@VONMAN @Cnewbert thank you for the offers. I checked your you tube you have great technique. Ernie is that course skiing on Lake Weir,

if so I would be interested in checking it out. Kinda looking for course skiing. My first week there I'm planning on skiing at Lapoints with the tournament on the weekend, following week at Jodie Fischer's tournament and maybe check out Travers if time.

• Baller
@MikeT at this time the course on the North shore needs repair and the South shore one is down with a cut mainline. Because I've been coaching new skiers good solid technique I haven't been course skiing this year on Lake Weir. Sorry, offer to ski is still there.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller
@MikeT by coincidence I’ve recently talked with the Lake Weir course owner as well as a mutual friend who helps maintain the course, both on other matters unrelated to the condition of the course. However, when the subject came up they each said it’s their intention to fix up the course now that summer is gone and the prevailing winds are shifting to a more favorable direction for the course’s north shore location. So there’s a decent chance it might be in good shape by November when you arrive. Meanwhile, PM me if you want the Lake Miona ski club contact info. They are informal and loosely organized... there is no website, application process or anything else, and it’s extremely reasonable cost-wise. They typically ski Tues, Thurs and Sat mornings, with one or more shifts depending on numbers.

@Cnewbert that sounds great. Thank you for the offer. For the 3 weeks I'm there I'll be skiing at a couple ski schools and hope to connect up with a couple guys at Lake Miona. If we purchase the plan is to return next March, if ok I'd be interested in skiing with you out on Lake Weir sometime.

• Baller
@MikeT I’m sending you a PM with the Lake Miona club contact. Don’t forget Matt Rini will be within easy driving distance once you are here as well. And of course you are more than welcome to ski with us on Lake Weir anytime should you purchase a place and move down here.