This has to be the worst 32-off pass I've successfully run

o2bnMaine

• Baller

nice skiing actually. way to stay with it.

Looks like an older boat maybe with perfect pass.

If you're not in the position to upgrade to a newer ZO boat, have you considered upgrading to a modern ski? That ski is putting you behind the curve from the top of the gate and then hurting you often. Looks like an older Obrien Syncro or similar? those things flat out wouldn't turn 24 just like that.

• Baller

@scoke I guess the boat is getting a little old, but we still love it. The wake is miniscule at 32-off and non-existent at 35-off. It is a 2009 Response LX with ZO.

The ski is a Denali c75. In 9 months, it has taken me from barely running a 28-off pass to getting around 4-ball at 35-off. When things are clicking, I can get 4 or 5 complete 32-off passes in a set without much effort. This video is purely for grins because it is so awful.

This morning, I didn't have much luck at 32-off (again), so for my second set, went back to 28-off to focus more on the fundamentals. I ran 10 consecutive 28-off passes while spinning instead of dropping. My wife kept wondering when I was going to be done. A few days ago, I strained my upper back getting back into position out of 3-ball at 35-off.

• Baller_

@Scoke, that boat is the same as mine (2009 RLX). I'm betting it has Zero Off Rev R. Mine sounds exactly like that. I do think the calibrating of Rev R on that boat with the 5.7 is quite good.

@02bnMaine, scrapping out a -32 is OK, especially if you take apart that video and learn from it. And, if you are around 3 at -35, that is a qualifying score for Nationals in every Men's division except Open.

I like the 10 back-to-back -28s with spinning. Excellent.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
By the way, @o2bnMaine, what are you using to record that pass? It's very smooth and the reverse point-of-view with zoom in and out was something I haven't seen before. Was that handheld recording or a tracker?

• Baller
@o2bnMaine Nice scrambling for that -32. Its like I tell people in golf..... there is no pictures on the score cards! Nobody needs to know how you did it..... But you did run it and that's what counts. LOL. nice work...

• Members

@scoke is right about one thing - your problems start at the top of the gate. If you watch some video of the guys who built your ski, you might notice that they DON'T pull into and through the gates with bent arms. 32 off is right about where that bad habit is gonna start to really hurt what you're trying to do.

as always, just IMO

• Baller

@RGilmore Good observation. Nobody has told me that one before. My primary issue is that I'm not consistent in my pull out or initiation of the turn in for the gate. Usually I get out to 1-ball with plenty of time, but that's not the point if I want to get all the way through 35-off.

@MISkier I use a now-defunct 360-degree camera from Rylo. They were purchased for their software (amazing how stable the image is) an the new company stopped all work on hardware. Frustrating for me as they never developed editing software for my pixelbook or windows laptop.

@skihacker Yup! We were complaining about that just this morning when we were chased off the lake at 10am by one pontoon boat. We've had a great summer. Boat traffic has been very light lately -- not even fishing boats racing around during tournaments.

• Baller

We skied up here in the great cold western new york this afternoon, we are THE last boat on the water, my wife has gotten to be nearly as crazy as me, water is 50, wife is skiing in a camaro spring suit and just starting to complain about her hands, I'll break out a cooler of warm water next time out.

• Baller

@skihacker When I lived in Maine, I would ski from April through November. Usually it was the water level that forced the boat into the garage. I rarely would wakesurf until mid-October -- when my younger friends couldn't get their regular friends to join them on the water I'd be the defacto crazy person to get out there.

Now, we make a note when the water drops below 80 degrees. ;-)

@MISkier The camera has 2 180+ degree lenses that get stitched together. On the phone, I tell the software where I want to "point" the camera. I watch the footage and click at each buoy putting my body/the buoy 2/3rds over to the far side. During the transitions, there are a few different ways to make it interesting, I've found. I just uploaded my 10 28-off passes from later that morning. I chose to follow Greta during the spins instead pointing the camera at me. The camera software has amazing leveling an steadying algorithms. I can zoom in/out, change color tuning, speed things up. That's about all I do. There is more, but it isn't worth the effort. Again, though, the camera is no longer something worth looking at since they stopped development. I assume GoPro and Insta360 are better options now.

• Baller
Im a LFF skier also. Try getting wider on the boat. You have a step pad on the side of the boat, put a piece of tape 8 inches in front of that, that's how wide you should be on the turn in. If you have more angle you will be earlier at one & create the pendulum/swing that you need to run that pass more up course. The turn in looks good. Arms need to be straight and relaxed at the white water through the 2nd wake with hips up/ elbows glued to your side. The lean out from the wake should be counted in your head 1 and 2... glide, you can adjust that to get the proper width. I hope that helps, Good Luck

• Baller

Last set of the NH season for me this past Saturday (59 degree water). When we sat down at the end of the lake I told my driver (@Ali) that this must be the most mistakes I could ever cram into a -35 off pass. All started with folding like a lawn chair out of 1...

• Baller_

@Clydesdale, since you are in Limerick, here you go:

There once was a skier in Maine

Frequent sets he had to explain

Skiers are obsessed

We'll never rest

Not even when we're in pain