Spraymakers Ideas for Season 2

Chris Rossi

• Baller
Thanks to everyone who helped make Spraymakers Season 1 such a success. We learned a whole lot along the way and look forward to Season 2 dropping in March of 2021. We would love to hear listener ideas for future episode topics. Lets keep this discussion for just new idea topics and not discussions about Season 1 episodes. Thanks everyone and see you in 2021!

• Baller
Building an improvement plan. I see way too many folks come to the lake ski the same sets day after day. Talk about trying to get better and stay the same. How to build an improvement plan for a whole season would be a great topic going into 2021

• Baller

You guys did a great job, it was definitely required listening. My suggestion is along those the lines of @disland’s and is shared knowing that you are speaking to a large and varied audience, and have experience coaching many skiers at all levels.

How about the most common issues, and more importantly, what you see as the most effective areas of focus to garner improvement by speed and line length?

For example, I am sure that you see many skiers that can run 26/15, but most often need to do X to run 28 or 30. Similarly for running 34/15 or cutting the rope to 22, 32, 35, and 39. Clearly many of these elements were discussed in examples throughout the season. Nevertheless, perhaps this will give many a means to build their game-plan and understand a primary focus for improvement as they progress. This could also benefit those providing advice to their fellow skiers.

• Baller

I'm obviously not the target audience since I am just a beginner running the slalom course, but I enjoyed your podcasts. The banter between you two was entertaining enough to keep me coming back. I would put in a request for a bit more content for us novices.

The only episode I didn't really care for was "Favorite Ski Sites". My favorite was "Driving Tips".

Looking forward to next season.

• Baller

Very informative podcast. Much of the info is way above my level but I have learned a lot and I have actually improved this season!

It would really change the "podcast" but video breakdown of whatever topic is being focused on in that episode or other key concepts would be amazingly helpful. Its one thing to hear something but watching it with someone breaking down the how and why it works, or doesn't, would be amazing.

Obviously that is a big change and a lot of extra work but once can dream!

• Baller

How to get the most out of online coaching would be kind of an interesting topic, given the explosion of online coaching available (mainly GiveGo but many others too). Do you recommend sticking with one coach or sending video to whoever? How often should you send in video?

In fact, you could extend this to in person coaching too. How long should you go to ski school? Should you do less than the maximum sets per day to stay fresh? How can you continue to make progress once back home?

What do you see people doing that is counter productive? What have you seen people do that surprised you and you’ve found works well?

I know some discussion was had about this during this past season, for example you talked about getting coaching as early as possible, etc., but with you both having so much experience coaching people, I’d imagine there are more ‘best practices’ that people could apply.

• Baller
Another topic of interest would be buying a new ski: when is it time? How do you know what ski to get? If you’re demoing, how long should you give it? Basically, what process would you recommend people go through when they think it might be time to upgrade skis?

• Baller
Another idea, a little different, could be an episode about your best and worst memories from your lives in skiing. Could be highlights or lowlights of tournament skiing, or some amazing experiences you had traveling for tournaments. What are the unique experiences that you’ve had during your life in skiing that make for interesting stories? Basically just an episode that would be the equivalent of sitting on the dock listening to you two shoot the breeze about crazy stories you’ve heard, or funny things you’ve seen, memorable experiences, etc. Or, if that doesn’t work well, an episode talking about some of the most legendary performances in slalom skiing. Maybe give it some structure by making it a top 5 best skiers of all time type of list, and go through why each pick deserves to be on the list, etc.

• Baller
I would love to hear you break down/compare the differences in technique/style the top pros (men and women) have and why they work for them. Can you explain their their strengths they fall back on when a pass goes awry? For example, Will's on-side turn. What is he doing to make it that much better than anyone else?

• Baller

We feel like the luckiest skiers in the planet Chris. Driving out to SunTen listening to Spraymakers all summer showing up on the dock to see you and your family there making it happen, clarifying, coaching... Thank you! I trust there are a few lucky folks in Texas too, so thank you Trent.

Ideas: Handle safety. Andy spoke to me about this and I’m happy to share what he showed me. Simple to show, not easy for me to explain. Hearing about these accidents is frightening.

Seeing Brooke Baldwin ski over her rope at 6 ball at the Travers Grand Prix was also terrifying. More perspective on what’s going on when these things happen may help us avoid tragedy. I still don’t understand what she did & I watched it several times. Glad she walked away uninjured.

Binding tech: Chris I know you know about Dynafit and super high tech backcountry snow ski bindings. MOB, Reflex, Radar, HO, Rubber bindings, effective but seemingly primitive in comparison. Until now? I ask because both of my sons have had hard waterski falls where bindings have failed. Working through those falls is tough. Both are big mountain snow ski chargers. Never a snow ski binding problem.

Training tool / brining slalom back to the masses? A couple of Euro guys finally developed a truly portable big water slalom course experience that shoots paintballs from co2 cartridges mounted to the wind shield. The paintball splash simulates buoys. I forget what it’s called but it’s in BOS somewhere. It looks super fun to be out on a big lake on a calm day and just rip until cartridges are empty. An evaluation or better yet, an acquisition could be exciting for the sport.

These guys seem to be on a pretty thin budget a long way away from perhaps their largest market but they must be engineering freaks to pull this off.

It seems like pro shops should buy some and rent them out to folks traveling to big water.

• Baller

Transitioning from one model ski to another.

I personally find I ski the old one while taking a set on the new one about 50-50 for the first few months before making the final switch if I decide to go forward with it.

I always seem to have the most consistent season the following year on the new one- new ski every 2 yrs.

• Baller

The last few months I’ve been working on, getting the work done (speed) before centre line.

Then edge change and ride the line out to the ball line trying to maintain a tight line and feeling tension.

How do you ride the line out to the ball line without pulling all the way to the ball and how do you know or feel when you have broke free of the boat

.something along those lines

• Baller

I apologize if this has already mentioned but gate timing please.

Your session on gates was great and I've listened to it many times. Now, the next step, pre gate and gate timing including line length progression.

Amazing stuff, THANKS guys!

• Baller
In the same vein as @LOTW, you could do an episode on how to teach people new to the course. I often start with people skipping the gates, and the most common thing I see is they pull out to 1 ball too late, so they pull all the way until they’re at 1 ball, then try to make a quick direction change and get huge slack, with no chance at the course. Pretty defeating! Obviously we can work on those issues, but I’d be curious to know if you give them exact cues for timing, and even things like what to have them work on if they’re not ready for the course, what your initial approach to the course is (eg full course or some form of mini-course), what speed you recommend, etc.

• Baller
Not sure if this could be a topic as most on here are 36mph or 34mph. I would love to hear a discussion on the changes one needs to go 32mph or 30mph. I was a very competitive nationals skier at 34mph but have struggled at 32 now going to 30 in mens 9. I'm going to stay at 32mph thru the year and maybe try 30 next year. Maybe some conversations with the top skiers at the lower speed? Maybe how to train or ski size. I hate the lower speeds!

• Baller
How about strategies for adapting to less than perfect sites. Short set ups, glare, lack of 55’s, high buoys, visual distractions, courses that don’t seem accurate, backwash, etc... What do you rely on to make the most of sets (practice or tournaments) where things are a little “off”?

• Baller
@Chris Rossi How about an episode discussing NWSCA difficulties with college administrations prohibiting club sports or team travel and the proposed "nationals" in the spring? Also discuss how all this impacts eligibility, etc. There are some really difficult times currently and ahead for our collegiate skiers.

• Baller
I'd love to see an episode with a notable skier who doesn't surpass -32 off and a pro skier discuss the notion that short line skiing and longer line skiing are actually two different things where skills learned at long line don't translate to short line. Is there really some form of technique transition as some point up the line?