Winterize recommendations

Pullhard

Looking for basic winterize recommendations for my 1998 Mastercraft Prostar 205 with the Chev. LT1 Aluminum Head engine. Boat is stored outside and is located in the Pacific NW. We get some cold temperatures below freezing occasionally from November through February. Just looking for some recommendations for a basic winterize. Also, believe this engine has a closed cooling system so is there anything special to do with that? Thank you.....

• Baller

Fill a 5 gall pail up with RV antifreeze. Pull the fresh water pick up hose off and suck up the antifreeze until it blows out the exhaust.

Run the motor up to temperature first.

Is there a heater in the boat. Find out if it’s hooked up to the closed cooling system.

• Baller

if not closed cooled, drain both block drains and the manifolds (use a small screw driver to make sure no rust is built up in the holes) then you can add pink antifreeze. I like to find the stuff with propylene glycol as it's better than the Ethyl Alcohol/Ethanol stuff. if you have a heater or shower you need to blow those lines out with air.

if you really have closed cooling then you don't drain the block, you just drain the heat exchanger, tranny cooler and manifolds and then you can add a few gallons of pink antifreeze (if desired)

• Baller

If it was a Nautique, I would recommend draining the entire cooling system and refill with 50/50 antifreeze.

But for a MasterCraft, I would just leave it sit outside then convince the wife I need a new Natuique next summer.... :open_mouth: