Is there a video of 38-39 off at 30 mph somewhere ?

swbca

• Baller_
There is currently a long discussion on the differences between 38/39 off at 34mph versus 30mph. Subjects like how to keep speed up to prevent sinking behind the ball. A video would be helpful but have not found one. I am going straight from Men 3 to Men 9 (with a time gap) I don't know if I'll ever get to 39off, but just in case.

• Baller_
@lpskier There are quite a few videos around of 34/36mph skiers skiing into 39 off that are not in Record Tournaments. For my purposes it doesn't matter if its a Record Tournament or not . . just looking to see how any good skier approaches skiing short line 38/39 at 30mph. Thanks

• Baller_

@Gloersen Well, your institutional memory is better than mine. I forgot that they raised M8 from 30 to 32, and when I quickly checked records (including the current M8 record, which is at 32) I then looked at the M9 scores at 30 and saw 4@38 as the record.

Giving credit where it is due, Bob Hardeman was the last 30 mph M8 record holder with 2.25@39. Jeff Wiswall and Steve Raphael co-hold the current M8 record of 5@38 at 32 mph. The M9 record is shared by John Autore and Jim Kinney with 4@38 at 30 mph.

To me, the more impressive M8 record is Bruce Kunde’s 98 foot jump, only surpassed my his M9 record of 100.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier Correction, the Mens 8 slalom record is now 2@39 (@52k), set by Steve Raphael September 13 at Champion Lake in Indiana. It was approved September 16. I believe Steve equaled that score in Chet’s last tournament. I agree with you about Bruce Kunda’s jump records!

• Baller_

@twhisper That video is perfect ! I think I can see a lot of difference between 36mph and 30mph. (@38off)

The 2 most obvious difference (imo)

1. The speed you have when you commit to the full turn near the ball is much less at 30mph, so it appears you can carry your speed into a tight line. An end aerial view of 39/41 off of a pros pass shows they have almost no lateral movement towards the wake for a moment after their ski has completed the turn. The ski is essentially plowing sideways down course for a small moment before they get on the line.

2. Maybe it was just YOU having an easy time at 38 off, but it looked like the rope tension and the pull duration you applied to the wake was much less than 38off at 36. If that's true, that is a hopeful factor for me . . because I quit skiing because of lower back problems. Your effort from the ball to the wake looked like 28off.

• Baller

@swbca click on the cog. that will get you Full Screen, Great Video, the three things that stand out the most for me, are Knees, Hips and Just Enough Load (Terry is not trying to be wide or super early, he is doing enough to make it comfortable and get the job done)

@swbca... After reading your comments about Terry's video, I have a couple of things to say. I find learning to adjust to 30 MPH is easier if you sometimes ski faster and slower. Faster prepares me to react faster, and slower helps me understand that you can still make the course at 28 and slower (do some reverse slalom). A warning as the boat slows down one needs to be careful not to absorb hits and muscle the course. At the slower speed hits still take their toll. The objective probably is to use proper technique and ski like Terry.