AWSA web site

lpskier

• Baller_

AWSA is considering building its own web site, separate and apart from the existing USAWSWS/USOPC web site. Doing so will not result in the loss of any USOPC money to AWSA but will give AWSA more control of content and allow AWSA to offer new content to membership, such as coaching videos, , ability based rankings, etc. Of course, it will cost money to develop and operate the site.

What do the skiers think of this idea? Is the existing web site fine for use or is it worth investing a good chunk of money for what should be a more expansive, more user friendly website?

Lpskier

• Administrators
@lpskier if they really do it right it would be awesome. If it is done on a shoestring budget it'll be an embarrassment. The only thing that is worse than the current website is the collection of international IWWF websites.

• Baller
The current website is unworkable, sanctioning in particular. We should immediately redirect traffic to the old site( it still works as I can access it) , while the debate, planning and execution of a suitable replacement is worked. Frustrating those who plan, set up tournaments and those who participate in them is not a particularly effect way to grow the sport.

• Baller
@Broussard you nailed it. The old site was like working with rocks and sticks, not great but once you learn the in and out, you can move forward. The new site make me nostalgic for the old rocks and sticks that at least was functional.

• Baller

I agree. The website is terrible. Since AWSA lost it’s identity to USAWS it has gone down hill in my opinion. There are really great people involved and running parts of it. This website is a further loss of identity, mission and purpose.

Maybe its time to start over as an individual entity.

• Baller
Getting excited for this venture. The AWSA exec and board is fully in support so we are going to start exploring this idea more. But the jist is to build a site that is user friendly, easy to figure out, and great landing pages for people new to the sport who just want to know the basics. We will still need usawaterski for news, rankings, sanctioning, events, so the idea is not to move all that to a new site as that becomes a $200K mutli-year project, We just need a nice site to build a community and infinity around like BOS has done here. NCWSA.com is a perfect example of how that can work. We think by doing this it will in turn help usawaterski with membership retention and getting new members.

• Baller
Too often web designers set out to show the world all the fancy things they can do, not realizing (or caring) that its just not functional. All the moving headers etc just make it a pain in the ass to try to navigate. Anything that can be done to have a simple/functional site where we can search and register for tournaments would be GREATLY appreciated.

• Baller
That drop down banner that covers half the screen when you move the pointer allows me only about 60 seconds before I just scream and close that garbage web site down. Is it really that difficult to just fix that?

• Baller
@ScottScott and @Zman I agree. That's just bad programming! I'm sure you've all seen the screens that partially overlay other stuff. In ancient history I was a programmer (not website stuff) and once someone looked at all the functionality and they saw stuff like that, I had to rework it. Didn't happen often. I could usually see it with my own eyes.

• Baller

The AWSA web site just plain sucks. Not user friendly what so ever. Now that we are forced to do online registration more and more I hope they can address a failing website and for once listen to the membership..

apparently USA is going to do a new membership program this should be interesting seeing that they can’t even make a basic web page user friendly.

• Baller

I’m sorry I’m not seeing the issue, glitches seem fixed? I feel I spend half the day on various sites for our business from admin, to HR to ordering supplies. IMO The new site is comparable, modern and efficient. I find it easier to navigate and enter 20+ tournaments a year, check rankings for US & IWWF, sanction a tourney or find officials paperwork etc. It did have glitches in beginning but seems fixed? Rankings seem in order? Most annoying part to me is some tournaments are still paper entries ?‍♀️

Is everyone using:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Water-Ski

Personally I think it’s faster and smoother.

• Baller

The drop down banner is number 1 for making the site intolerable. And, something that should be easy to fix. The drop down effect should not take any more than about 10% across the top of the screen, It now takes up slightly over half the screen every time you move the pointer even the slightest upward.

@NikolG - Have you found a way to stop this? Or, are you just OK working with less than half a screen? Maybe it works different with a different browser? I use Chrome.

Until the banner is fixed, I stand by that the site is a royal PITA.