Lake Water Quality

ozski

• Baller
Who gets their lake water tested, how often if ever? Or do people just ski and assume its ok? Chatting to an ex pro skier about this who got really sick years ago after competing on a pretty suspect site, skin sores, rashes and weight loss. Recovery was long and slow..

• Baller

Yes we had a ski lake 10 yrs ago that we tested. Barely passed but never really had health issues from it.

Also moved from a community back in the late nineties because the water in the lake made me very ill every time I skied. The algae in this lake was the culprit. Next closest lake was several hrs away so goodbye.

• Baller
@lpskier John. I was not paying super close attention back then, but it must have been in the 90s as I lived in the area at the time and remember the concerns about that tour stop and the water quality. Onondaga lake is a cesspool, with old industries and the county WWTP along the southern and western shores. I currently live on a small, neighborhood lake that has some public beaches. Three times a year, before major holidays, we test the water near the beaches for e. coli. Usually fine. Lots of geese around, plus septic systems surround lake, but must be designed right as rarely any excursions.

• Baller
I test my lake water every few years and use a small company that is close by. "Google around" and find a private company. Personally, I would stay away from a local gov't agency in case the tests come back and the water is suspect. They might try to over-reach and make you jump through too many hoops to get it corrected. I only test for Nitrates and Fecal Coliform. Each sample cost less than $50.

• Baller

@Chad_Scott - that'd be abundantly easy to pull off its so close to the lake. Up the lake from the lagoon is a coffee shop in the old Milwaukee river flushing station - the river was so polluted that they started pumping water from the lake to the river.

They could flush the lagoon for not much work and make it swimmable/skiable.

• Baller
We have used a company named SePro out of North Carolina. They have been great to work with and have many options to accommodate different issues. We have also used a local company to do annual baseline testing for things like Phosphorus, Nitrate/Nitrite, Calcium, PH, Sulfate, Coliform and EColi. Attached is SePro's lab pricing chart to give you an idea of what is available. We used the Algae ID service for $97 and got a full report of what algae is in our lake along with options to fix. Very helpful in putting together a plan and establishing a budget for a long term mitigation strategy.