Feedback on 2012 Malibu TXi

Skoot1123

• Baller

Hey Ballers - I have a friend who had someone ask if he would like to buy his 2012 Malibu Response TXi. It has 120 hrs on it and has been “pampered”. I don’t really have any experience with a Malibu other than skiing behind one 13 years ago. I figured you folks would be the best to give me some feedback - I appreciate it. Picture of the boat is attached - it is a sharp looking boat.

casb3vfans0m.jpeg

• Baller

Have a picture of the dash? If it has the upgraded dash, make sure to check that lower right touch screen for delamination around the edges. They are quite expensive to replace, I'm looking at likely having to buy one this season. Only other comment is that the 2012 steering wheel really sucks due to the single spoke at the bottom, luckily it is an easy problem to solve with a couple hundred bucks for a steering wheel from the newer boats.

(random picture from boat trader to show dash)

btrkmlrn5nsw.png

• Baller

The TXI is a great boat! The cut diamond hull produces a flat and soft ski wake even at slower speeds.

A very sought after boat. Build quality is great and it’s interior layout is pretty darn good. The two hatch trunk is easily accessible from inside the boat and from the platform and it holds various slalom skis.

It’s handling is very sportscar-like and tracking (if correctly balanced) is great.

The one pictured above though seems not to have ZeroOff which for me would be a no-go. Can be retrofitted but probably a fairly large undertaking.

ZO boats have dual pucks like this one:

4dlwtt5rotib.jpeg

• Baller_
Later model TXI's have an engine placement change, farther forward, at the time the Crusader engine was used, IIRC 2016 but need to confirm. Chad Scott would know the answer as he noted that on this site.

• Baller
I foolishly passed on my buddy's 2012 TXi last fall when he upgraded to a 2019 TXi. He had to replace that touch screen @oldjeep mentioned just prior to selling. I think they all have that touch screen on the lower right. The option was the large touch screen in the middle I think. Price was ridiculous...I think $1200 but can't remember for sure. For comparison sake, it had the 5.7, 600 hours, Zero Off, and overall immaculate condition for 30K. Dealer put it on the lot for 39K but I don't know what it sold for.

• Baller
My buddy told me the price last night. I about fell on the floor. Not sure if the seller just wants to get rid of it and get his new boat or what. It is roughly half of what you see on Ski-It-Again. (Not sure if those prices are what they are actually getting but it does have a good resemblance to the market)

• Baller

120 hrs, depreciated, great price...buy buy buy. Sharp boat, too.

Earlier in my life this would be a done deal, I'll ship it...but my kids are gone and my spine is getting old--probably no more new to me boats other than if I strike it rich and buy some cool ocean rig to park at my own Carribean island...but I digress.

• Baller
It definitely had mass. My issue is that I tend to steer left handed just pulling down against a spoke with my thumb and a light grip. The stock wheel requires you to actually grip the wheel tightly and makes it harder to index it to the correct spot.

• Baller

Well - the end of this story is interesting: the original owner went to the dealer and found out what they would give him for his Malibu and he jacked the price up by $10k to my friend. My friend did offer him more than the original price but in the end he decided to trade it.

So there is probably a 2012 Malibu TXi That will show up at onlyinboards or a dealer website in the next few days/week.