D3 NRG R2

ballsohard

• Baller

Wanted to get some advice on this ski.....I have a demo 67 and absolutely love it. Amazing ski. I am 6"4" 200lbs. 34mph skier. I know a 67 or 68 would support me, but If I were to try a 68 What would some of the +/- s be with this design? Just wanted to get some thoughts before sending off for 68. Thank you!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_

Disregard this question, just found the answer in the FW Book

DFT - where is the "tail" ? While everyone is referring to their DFT measurements on their NRG-R2 . . . I figured this would be the place to ask this question. On the D3 factory chart for 67" EVO it says "flat .750" To me that means "tail" is where the rear bevel meets flat surface of the ski-bottom in front of the bevel. But, setting the fin precisely at .750 forward from where the flat meets the bevel puts the fin tight against its front limit. So with all other settings stock, the fin can't be moved forward from .750 without modifying the fin.

This isn't very important since everyone can find there own best settings. But where do you all define the "tail" for purposes of this measurement ? Its where the rear bevel meets the flat of the ski-bottom . . right?

• Baller
@Rw3 I would get a 68". I believe you are always better off being on the lighter end of the weight range for a particular ski. I weigh 175 to 180 and ski on a 67" R1. I tried a 66" last year and it was more work behind the boat even through it turned better when it was time to scrap. The 67" is easier on my body. The larger ski will also support you better when the water heats up. I find its also easier to make a bigger ski feel short verses the other way around. You can also have a few extra calories at dinner and not stress about your smaller ski... :)

• Baller

I picked up a Radar G10 sequence plate to get a finer adjustment on the binding placement. Have others here found that the R2 is quite sensitive to boot placement?

Just cannot seem to find the magic sweet spot where it feels good in wake crossings and in the turns. It seems I am getting one or the other.

• Baller

So with us getting into the last weeks of the season in Canuck Land this is the time of year that I experiment a bit.

I have been on an R2 since early Aug and have tried fin/binding settings from one extreme to the other. Found settings that seem to be working well but not quite the magic I was hoping for.

Today I tossed in a Denali CG Fin at the current OEM fin settings I am running with the exception of minus 0.030 on the dft because the nose of the fin runs into the end of the slot. The results were surprisingly fantastic. It took what was already a good ski and made it sweeter in every way. By far the cleanest, easiest and most consistent 32's I have ever run on any ski period. Life was great skiing today.

I encourage others to give it a go as it seems the CG fin marries well with the R2

• Baller
@S1Pitts , I did the same with the whisper fin in June. I have the R1 and LOVE the offside but had been struggling with the onside. WOW, major improvement with no downside to the offside. Would love to try the R2, maybe demo in the spring, water is is soon to be quite firm here in Vermont!!

• Baller

@Jaypro

I don't know why I always wait till the end of the season to try things. Could have had this setup for months! I am glad the whisper fin yields positive results as well with the R1.

I have been skiing as much as possible to soak up "the feeling" with hopes getting enough in to carry me through the winter.

• Baller

What would be the nearest to a Quest 45? My wife needs a new ski but she has not liked the ARC and EVO that she tried compared to her Q45 soft. Was going to try her on a NRG R2. She likes stable not twitchy and skis 28/30 and working at 32mph 15 off.

Cheers

Ali

• Baller
So I skied the NRG R2 this weekend, in the cold Vermont water. I have been on the NRG R1 for the past couple of years, So I wasn't expecting a radical difference, especially with the cold water. I couldn't believe how much more planted, for lack of a better word, it felt. Especially on the onside. The offside on the R1 was always great, but I had to work a little more on the onside. Really impressed, I guess I am upgrading.....

• Baller
Planted is putting it mildly. I thought glued down on my first ride. Onside turns are ridiculously good. I finally got the off side smooth and tighter now. Overall it feels like I have a solid connection with the water at all times. I also felt the ski was getting better as the water was cooling off. Too bad the season has ended.

• Baller

I've had a similar experience. Tried lots of skis this year (5 different rides), and decided the R2 had the best overall feel for me. Coming off the 2017 nrg, I will say that I was not as immediately comfortable on it as I was with the original model. (could be that I spent weeks and weeks trying new skis and playing to my inner-tweaker, right?)

Anyway, I've always thought that at some point late in the season I'm just happy to be behind the boat running passes, and am no longer expecting to go very far up the line. But the R2 has continued to get better for me as the water gets colder. Still running passes in 50° water and a wetsuit that I'm not guaranteed on the best of days mid-summer. Really looking forward to starting the 2022 season on this thing!

• Baller
@S1Pitts and @BobF , our course has been out for about a month now, but looking forward to 2022. Yes the ski definitely seems glued to the water, really tip down. I thought the cold water, 50 degrees, would feel slippery and unstable. I was blown away.

• Baller

@Jaypro - @BobF The ski really became magical once I ran the fin longer. I settled at 6.975 with a front binding at 30 1/8. (using a radar sequence plate) This was key for my offside turns. It rides very much so tip down with no hint of rising in the turns and similar to my Omega that way.

Next season cannot come soon enough.

• Baller

@BobF - Yes I also ran the fin ahead to 0.775 and depth is at 2.445

@Jaypro - Yes but the older Denali C65. They are different feeling in almost every way. The Denali feels like it generates speed and angle with less effort. Turns on the R2 are better as I never really could get the off side on the C65 to feel as good or even with the on side. I never moved on to the C75 or C85 which are surely superior to the C 65.

• Baller
Hey, I’m back! Haven’t posted in a long while. Hopefully gonna ski more this year. Was looking at swapping out my yellow 67” ARC for this NRG R2. Partly as it is described as wider. I am older, don’t get a ton of course time, and figure it might be helpful. Might be worth a test ski anyway. I was up past middle a bit of the weight range for my 67” on the ARC, and I guess the same for the NRG R2. I have pretty much always been a Kidder through D3 guy and just love the feel, and would love to stay on a D3 rather than move to some other wider body ski. Thoughts?

• Baller
If you have an ARC you'll appreciate the upgrade. Significant difference, you're going to get much more consistent turning on both sides particularly onside. ARC-S was very good but subsequent D3s have been way better IMO.

• Baller
Talking to TW about it, and will explore with some training this year as I get back into it. Will start on my Yellow ARC and get back on my ski, and then try the new skis. Thinking I will stay within the D3 line for sure after talking to Terry. I don’t want to go for one of the other wider bodies.

• Baller

@BigGerald3 I'm on a 66 @34. not sure if it will translate to your setup but pushing the fin forward has shown good results for me. Try moving .020" but don't be afraid to add .040" either. I settled at .025" forward of factory DFT. At factory settings i found the ski to be a little more work thru the wakes than I like which is what prompted me to push the fin forward. The ski turns great always but it does finish the onside turn a little better with the fin forward.

• Baller

@BigGerald3 I left mine at recommended. I'm using radar carbitex front measured to the bottom stitch with HRT rear. I don't know what binding D3 was measuring but that seems to work for me. I did try a little forward and a little back, ended up back at stock.

• Baller

After spending some more time on the ski and with guidance from Terry Winter, I've moved boot and fin back to D3 numbers and I'm really liking the ski more and more with every ride. I had my doubts the first 5 or 6 sets I had on it, it was such a departure from my previous ski. Now I'm just excited to see where this ski will take me.

• Baller

New D3 NRG R2 demo arrived on Friday and I spent an hour setting up the fin and bindings.

It's beautiful out of the box and feather light.

First set was a noticeable improvement over my Carbon V. The biggest difference was the offside turns (don't have to work as hard) and acceleration once you put it on edge. Got another set in Sat morning and late last night. My buddy's wife says my spray got even bigger :)

• Baller
Four sets on the NRG R2. Confidence inspiring ski. Ski feels glued to the water with smooth symmetrical turns.. i’m on a 68 at 205lbs. Get into 32 off at 34mph. Coming off an orange Connelly Prophecy which I loved, but this is more smooth and forgiving. I struggled with some tip bubble on my off side on the Connelly which is gone in the D3.

• Baller
7 degrees on the wing. I ski on radar vapor boots with the sequence plate. A little bit forward of stock for the front foot due to hole locations. Ski turns better for me on my offside than being a little back on binding placement. Stock on fin. Just bought 2023 Vapors that i’m waiting to receive so I may be starting over on binding location. Old ones finally fell apart.

• Baller
I posted this in the other D3 too, but I won a new NRG from the Waterski Broadcast Company and it only comes in 68" and just a tiny bit short for me, so my son in law is using it after using my old 9500 for years (think poor Medical Resident) and he is skiing solid 28's at 32/34 mph skiing only about one weekend day a week at most. My training partner jumped on it and ran mid-38's both rounds. He was an old Quest skier until it basically self-destructed. We actually talked about that ski tonight on the lake. The 45 just wasn't the same and then they stopped making it. He really liked the NRG though, but took the wing down to 7 and had better run out. The NRG at stock really shuts down in the preturn and wants to turn on its own.

• Baller

@A_B "The NRG at stock really shuts down in the preturn and wants to turn on its own. I'm seeing the same."

I'm seeing the same behavior and after moving the rear boot back one hole, and skiing a set this morning, the offside turn is even more amazing.

• Baller
Just got off my first set on the NRG R2 mounted with the 2022 Vapor boots. Transition from the old Vapor boots was seamless. Super user friendly setup. More control and easier to get on and off than the old ones.

• Baller

No mechanical release. I did put a Sole footbed in the size 12 Vapor boots due to a very low volume foot. It fits so well that i just take the slack out of the BOA that runs across my forefoot and keep

the top bungee barely snug. Feels very secure but I can easily pull my foot out on the dock. The increased responsiveness of the ski is noticeable with the new Vapor boots.

• Baller
I’m on a 66” ski 175lbs using radar cabitex and Hrt rear bindings. Fin and front boot have always been exactly as D3 recommended boot was measured to the bottom stitch. It was good but something just wasn’t right. Recently I pushed front boot forward 1/8”. And hello sweet spot! Kinda crazy how that changed the whole feel and attitude of the ski. If you’re not feeling like this ski is planted to the water, it doesn’t shut down the way you like, or it’s over turning both sides. Try going forward with the binding.

• Baller
I have heard that t factor places your ankle as much as 1/2” forward of a reflex when measured from the recommended measuring points. Where radar is on that comparison I don’t know. I have also heard that ankle placement is a good reference point but isn’t the whole story either as each binding reacts differently so a t factor user might prefer a different position than a reflex user. I don’t know much about ski design but My experience with the R2 is that you need to get far enough forward to rock onto the flat spot. If you are too far back it may want to ride on the tail rocker requiring more effort to engage the front of the ski which can feel like an unsettling rocking motion as you move forward. For me using radar carbitex measuring to the bottom stitch I have to be 1/8” forward of stock at least. I initially thought that might be too far and tried pulling back 1/16th, and the magic was lost . Jumped in the boat moved it forward and there’s the sweet spot again. Just my experience.

• Baller
I have mine at 1/8” forward with size 12 boots on a sequence plate. I am as forward as you can go. On the Vapor boot measuring point thread, someone came up with 3/8 vs the T-factors i don’t know if that is accurate.