D3 NRG R2

ballsohard

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Here is a summary of information we've received on it.... skis should start shipping Monday! Sounds like this is going to be a great ski! Taking Pre Orders now from this link: https://www.perfski.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=NRG+R2

The NRG R2 has quick rotational turns that are smooth and effortless. The R2 gives you total control when and where to lay into a turn.

The powerful R2 has improved stability and consistency. We accomplished our goal of maintaining the best attributes of the R1 while at the same refining the ski to match skier demands. The R2 has a deeper concave and tunnel volume compared to either the ION or ION-S. The R2 delivers powerful edge-control, with cross course holding power that is unrivaled. Turns are symmetrical and consistent with tip engagement predictable due to more parallel sidewalls under the front binding.

The redesigned ski shape and concave means that the ski creates more angle so the R2 is fast through the wakes, with effortless edge change and direction out to the buoy. If you are looking to experience quick, symmetrical turns on both your offside and onside you must experience the NRG R2.

The R2 wider width profile, compared to ION allows you to ride a shorter ski.

Team D3 skiers’ comment - “The changes you made to the NRG are prefect. For me, I love the stable feel of the R2. It holds speed well through the buoy and never gets behind you.”

The NRG R2 features:

Large sweet spot- 1" more overall compared to R1

Redesigned rocker results in smoother quick turns

Deep edge-to-edge concave for powerful hold across course.

Wide forebody for stability and support.

Tail shape allows the ski to move in the turn.

Torsional flex control for precise edge changes and smooth acceleration.

Machine screw inserts accommodate most current binding systems.

Accuset Fin Block for laser aligned fin placement

Sizes - 64", 65", 66", 67" & 68" in Blue / Green

Sizes - 64", 65" & 66" in Pink

Here are the updates on the ski and what skiers are saying about the new R2.

What Test Team Says:

“stable, predictable, and consistent”

“the offside turn is fantastic”

“I like the speed thru the wake, quick edge change and cast out to the buoy”

“able to create a lot of angle across the wake”

“holds the turn well”

“have yet to blow the tail”

“the ski continues moving out of the buoy”

“I typically ski a 67”, but this may be the best 66” ski I have ever ridden”

“very stable in the edge change, pre-turn, and on the back side of the buoy”

“I create space before the next buoy and make my turn back siding the buoy”

“no matter what shape I am in, I’m able to keep going”

“I love how the ski holds the speed at the buoy and does not get behind you”

R2 Technical Updates – Ski Changes:

Slightly Narrower Mid-body – mid-body sidewalls more parallel – more predictable with better cast outbound

Slightly Wider Tail – Frees the tail to move without tail blowout

Overall – ski rides tip lower compared with R1

Allows skier to ride on edge in more balanced position.

Easier for skier to move up over front foot.

Easier to slow coming into buoy.

Tip engages easier into turn.

Smoother / less abrupt

Rocker (new)

Larger Sweet Spot – 1” more overall compared to R1

Less Tail Rocker than R1 – overall ski attitude is flatter with less tip rise

Less Tip Rocker – allows the front of the ski to engage with more consistency

Concave (new)

Change in tunnel radius – reduce ski tension (drag) and unexpected tip bite. Improves speed.

Bevels (new)

Consistent bevel width and angle from tip to tail – similar to ION – smooth and predictable

Slightly rounder at the tail - allows the tail of the ski to smear / slide more through the turn compared to R1.

l57iv8inynl2.jpg

u5hy16qtuchs.jpg

• Baller

I’ve got to thank @twhisper for getting me set with some great fin settings. I’m knocking on PB territory on the R2. It’s so fast buoy to wake and easily makes space before the ball and the turns are crazy good without overloading me at the hookup. I wasn’t a fan at first with the stock settings but it’s so good now! If you try one, and don’t like it, don't give up on it until you get some setup help (if you’re not a fin expert, and I’m not).

Related, but different note, Terry, thank you! To all of you who can’t get to a coach, get video coaching from trainwithterry.com. It’s the best money you’ll spend.

And again, thank you Terry!

• Baller
@Jaypro I am. Tomorrow I’ll have my first ride on it with the Whisper Fin Pro. I’ve liked the original Whisper Fin on every ski I’ve had it on. I’m anxious to give the Pro version a go.

• Baller
@buoyboy1 I was on the original NRG until after last year’s Nationals, when I switched to an Ion-S. I spent a short time on the NRG-R1, but liked the original NRG better. I’m still jumping back and fourth between the NRG-R2 and the Ion-S at this point.

• Baller
@Stevie Boy - I’ve just started to experiment with the NRG R2 from a 2020 Vapor. It worked great the first two sets, particularly on the offside which felt tighter than my Vapor. I was exiting my onside a bit tail heavy, but that is likely the pilot…. Will update later this week after a few more rides.

• Baller
I probably don’t get over analytical about my skiing, as it pertains to the ski. I just decide in a few sets whether a ski works for me or not. In the recent years that D3 has offered two model skis simultaneously. (I guess technically three skis currently, with the Ion offered in two flexes). I find more similarities than differences, between the Ion, (I’ve only ridden the softer S), and the R2, as opposed to the Evo, the Arc, and first generation and R1 NRG. I was never as comfortable or consistent, on the Arc or Evo models as I was on the first two generation NRGs, with a small preference for the original NRG. I’m still going back and forth between the Ion-S and the R2. Day to day sometimes. I have both the original Whisperer Fin and the Pro. The original is currently on the Ion-S and Whisper Pro is on the R2. I enjoy riding both skis very much. My focus is on my keys to skiing efficiently, but I don’t really give any thought to having to do something different when going from one ski to the other. My high scores for the season only vary by a half buoy between them. I don’t know that one seams more forgiving than the other. The R2, as described, rides with a deeper tail in the turn, therefore maybe requiring slightly more physical exertion, but it’s minimal. D3 skis are just very user-friendly. If you get the opportunity to demo both, that’s probably the ideal situation. I don’t know if this assessment will be helpful to you or not! Ski and have fun!

• Baller
I set my all time practice PB yesterday on my R2, with the D3 fin. I’m working on consistent gates right now but feel pretty confident that I’m sticking with this ski for the season. I’m going to try the Whisper Fin Pro, pretty soon, but with the state championship coming this weekend, I’ll probably hold off on that until next week

• Baller

I am sitting here trying to decide if I should give the R2 a go. Current ski is a HO Omega and I moved to a new location where the water conditions are not near as good as where I was skiing before. Need something that will handle less than perfect water.

Can anyone on the R2 confirm it's rougher water performance?

• Baller

@S1Pitts ,what do you classify as rough water, I have skied in less than perfect water and the R2 sat in well, as for water with a lot of chop, I would think most skis would be less than perfect, any ski that rides deeper is going to be better in rough water, just switched from Radar to the R2 both have good attributes, but are different, happy with my choice to date, time will tell.

It feels like the R2 has a little more grip.

• Baller
NRG arrived today and I am looking forward to 7am tomorrow. The factory settings are definitely long shallow. Has everyone riding this ski stayed closer to long shallow? Has anyone ventured into short - deep with any success? If so would you care to share the settings?

• Baller
Thank You to all for input. 2 outings now on it and each set is getting better. Currently riding stock settings to get more familiar with it. I have learned that the less effort I put into skiing the smoother and better it rides. Anyone else experienced this?

• Baller

67 inch 34 mph - Easiest back to back 35's I have ever had with superb offside turns. Not far from stock settings but the ski changed dramatically with small setting changes. Seems to be sensitive to DFT changes the most.

Front Boot 301/8

Back Boot 16 3/4

Length 6.930

Depth 2.460

DFT 0.760

Wing 8.0