Women's Comp Vest Choices

mnskiers

Hello I am new to the forum! I love doing anything on water and need a new vest. I am looking at the O'neill Slasher, Stokes Nitro 2, and the Eagle One Flex does anyone have opinions/preferences on these? I would like to know!

• Baller

Stokes! I've been around a while, have worn a lot of gear. My stokes short suit and vest are top notch--best I've owned. No knock on the other brands, but the stokes stuff is exceptional.

In my experience if you go stokes size up one they run a little small.

• Baller

@mnskiers look at the eagle vests. It is cut for a women and has a great fit.

Talk with@mikemapple at performance ski and he can get you into the right vest. I have had eagle for years and no problems at all. A well made athletic cut fit for women.

• Baller

Sunny, You dont state your experience or level of skier. I only ask because I am a big advocate of USCG approved vests for most skiers. I know 2 people that suffered significant chest/rib injuries wearing non USCG vests. Could it happen with approved vests? I suppose so, but why increase the chances. I looked at some of the vests identified above and was surprised that they dont all specify whether they are all USCG or not. I would think that would be needed. I think the average joe, like myself, should stick with the USCG vests for floatation and protection, but that's just me. The super high end folks that think a bulkier vest is restrictive and can affect performance, they know the risks. https://wsia.net/competition-vests-vs-uscg-approved-life-jackets/

• Baller

If it doesn't say USCG approved....it isn't.

I don't think there is any real research into what type of vest has the most rib protection....its mostly theory. While more padding would seemingly be more protection, floatation pads are pretty dense and can press into the ribs in a fall causing damage, where a tighter vest with thin pads with broader/even coverage would distribute the impact more.

• Baller_

The three vests that are mentioned in the Original post ARE NOT cga vest.

That being said, I have seen injuries with both types of vest, my dad almost drowned at an event years ago, but that didnt stop him from wearing one all the time, however the CGA vests have come a long way over the years. Also if you are looking for minimum float from those, I would say the slasher has the most float of them all.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

Thanks again for all the responses, I very much do understand those vests are not CGA and the risks involved. I ski on a show team so am looking for more float than the Dolphin but still a comp vest for flexibility (ei think pyramids, doubles...). With that said, I never have floated well but I do feel better wearing a CGA vest so with my personal boat I wear that.