ECOS (AKA Kill Switch) Law

Johnbrannan

• Baller

Doesn't apply to non federal waters, that is a state law issue. I highly doubt that MN would ever enact a law that requires it - boating restrictions rarely get very far here.

This is the important part

The new law will be enforced by the Coast Guard in federal navigable waterways. Alexandria, Virginia-based BoatUS, the nation’s largest boat-owner organization, expects most states that don’t already have such laws on the books will amend their regulations to match federal law over the coming years.

• Baller_

This was brought up in the Driver's clinic last weekend. They seemed to be saying that it applied. I put in the chat window that I thought it did not, as it was only for federally navigable waters.

I'm not currently planning on doing anything different at a tournament or practice or free skiing session on an inland lake, public or private.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
This is highly likely to be tied to the "waters of the US (WOTUS)" definition. It's something that I've warned could be very disruptive depending on the definition of WOTUS. Not political, but the Obama administration proposed changing the definition to include ANY waterway that "held water" for at least one day a year whether or not they were connected to 'navigable waters of the US' - this can include a ditch that hold water after a big rain event. The Trump administration fought the change, suits were filed, etc. Currently the older, pre-Obama definition is in place which, essentially, defines WOTUS as any water body that connects to a (truly) navigable waterway. So lakes that have off-flow that connects to larger bodies of water could be included. Private lakes that do NOT have outflows and are filled either naturally or by pumps would NOT be included. The definition is still actively being debated in the court system and the ultimate answer can change the rules for lots of us.

• Baller

Grew up skiing and fishing the San Bernard and Brazos rivers in Texas. Both see barge traffic and I’m sure fall within that waterway classification. Not sure how long that law has been active in Texas, but of all the times a coast guard or local authority boat has stopped us on either river for an inspection (yes, sometimes cutting someone’s ski run off), the kill switch has never once been brought up.

Your mileage may vary, especially since it’ll be a newly enacted law for many locations. Maybe some will blow it off unless people are being overly wreckless, maybe some will enact it hard as a show of no-nonsense, but I’d think it’d be pretty difficult to enforce.

All I can hope for is that your local authorities are as service-first minded as I’ve experienced on our waterways. For the most part, my experience is that they are very professional, friendly, and courteous (even if they don’t seem to understand how frustrating it is to be stopped in the middle of a ski run).

• Baller
All the YouTube videos where things go wrong is at the launch ramp or dock. Not many at speed unless it’s boat racing. By the time the authorities pull you over you are stopped or at idle speed so you can have the lanyard disconnected.

As a Safety official for USAW, I received this today:

On April 1, 2021, the U.S. Coast Guard implemented a new law requiring boaters who operate recreational vessels 26-feet long and under, including water ski and wake boats, to require the use of an Engine Cut-Off Switch (ECOS).

The engine cut-off switch link attaches the driver to the switch that shuts the engine off. This will turn off the motor if the operator falls overboard or is a certain distance from the wheel. Wireless engine cut-off switches have also been approved for use.

Prior to any USA Water Ski & Wake Sports (USA-WSWS) sanctioned event, organizers should consult USA-WSWS safety program resources at https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Water-Ski/Safety-Program-Resources, including the USA-WSWS Safety Manual regarding adhering to all State/Federal Boating Regulations:

Rule 3: At the option of the sponsoring club, the Safety Director shall see that all competing clubs or participants conform to all state and/or federal boating regulations prior to the start of their event, including the following:

Ensure that the requirement of meeting all applicable boating laws was made in the tournament announcement; and

Ensure that all competing clubs from a state other than the state the competition is to be held in shall have been sent a copy of such laws.

The tournament host is responsible for adherence to state law and may delegate the oversight of the engine cutoff switch requirement to the event Safety Director. Drivers are also responsible for following all state and federal laws, as they are the ones operating the boat during the event.

Boaters are encouraged to check the U.S. Coast Guard website at https://uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/engine-cut-off-devices.php for additional information on this new use requirement and other safety regulations and recommendations.

• Baller

What's the problem, suck it up. If you're driving on a stretch of water where you have to use the kill cord, you're likely to be driving the boat for an hour or so, what's 3s to clip the kill cord onto your swim shorts? All tournament boats have had one for as long as I've had boats.

The rules aren't aimed at "us", you're more likely to loose control of the vessel if you're driving a surf boat and have to stand up to look over the screen because of the bow rise, hit another surf wave.

Or is it because you're being told what you can and cannot do while doing something you've done done for years and know the risks?

• Baller
The rules are not for surf boats either - they are for over powered low gunneled center consoles. The type of boats that exist in the coast guard waters. This is not an inland lake regulation (unless your state decides to make it one)

• Baller
Seems the law applies to "Navigable Waterways of the US" which is defined here in section 2.36. Seems tidal influence or suitability for interstate commerce or shipping are key criteria for being a navigable waterway. I think that leaves out all purpose built ski lakes, unless they were made by impounding a decent sized stream or river.