Anyone know the torque setting for ProStar 190 fuel pump plate ?

swbca

• Baller_

I tracked a fuel/fumes leak to the gasket and bolts that holds the fuel pump to the tank. Its the large Circular plate with 12 bolts to the tank. This fuel pump was replaced by the the dealer in 2018.

I have a new gasket and bolt/washer kit.

Anyone know the torque setting on the 12 bolts ?

2ju3xste0kv0.jpg

• Baller_

THE DEALER - MIDWEST WATER SPORTS - SAYS There is no torque spec. The bolts are pre-fitted with a rubber washer and a metal washer that is cupped up in the center. Tighten the 12 bolts in a star pattern until the washers are flat. Because there is rubber washer under the metal washer, it would be possible to tighten until the washers are cupped down, but that would be over-tightening.

Has anyone ever heard different (an actual torque value)

• Baller

It has been discuss a few times on Team Talk "fuel pump 101 " thread.If i remember it was in inches/feet range.

IMO, just use common sense when tightening . It's not an engine head either,just torque reasonnably tight and you shoulb be good.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_
I found the thread. It says 49 inch-pounds. (they must say "49" to get your attention, or would 50 actually be too much) I have an inch-pound torque wrench . . . I will see if the 49"-pounds matches the instruction to stop when the convex washers are flat.

• Baller_

RESULTS

-The dealer said to torque the bolts until the convex washers were flat.

-A post on "Team Talk" said 49 pound-inches.

-Using my pound-inch torque wrench, the washers went flat at 20 pound-inches and that's where I left them.

The same dealer had replaced the fuel pump in 2018 and torqued them until they were totally concave, not flat . . I think that's how how you strip the threads in the inserts.

The main large gasket was definitely compressed all the way around, I say that "washers flat" was

a good recommendation.

However it was easy to see that temperature affects the torque value that causes the washers to go flat. It was 35 degrees when I first installed the screws but didn't tighten them to compress the washers. The next day I poured a bucket of hot water on the whole assembly. The rubber washers under the bolts were much more compliant, requiring less torque to flatten the washers than if they were tightened at a lower temperature. This suggests that its better to go with the flat washer at room temperature as the correct guide, rather than a here-say torque wrench value.

• Baller
It's funny they would be so precise as to say 49 pound-inches and not just round it up to 50. My nephew is a full fledged marine mechanic with probably 15 years experience or more. For most of that time, he's worked at a marina that's also an Evinrude dealer so he knows the Johnson and Evinrude motors very well. Every time I ask him for the correct torque setting for some bolt on one of my outboards his response is always "P.F.T."