Hortons' Survey

kmenard

• Baller

1. I hate myself for how high I ranked graphics. I was lucky my 2017 Vapor is a good ski because I totally bought it for the graphics, the window, and the fact that my ski partner had the lithium.

2. I ranked who is riding it low, but feel like it needed context...does it matter that someone who skis on a level I never could dream of skis it? No. But when Terry Winter or Joel Hawley who is out there coaching and being very active in the community jumps on a ski, it opens up the skis I would look at.

3. While I ranked 'brand' a little lower, given how active Brooks is in the community and with any issue I have had, he has given a lot of my brand loyalty to Radar.

4. I really hate myself for how much of a slave I am to how a ski looks.

• Baller

It must be blue. That's my first criteria. So that it matches everything else. :)

I have a 2019 blue Vapor Pro Build. The Denali is in contention in the future. It's blue after all.

But preferred is a future blue Pro Build, since I'm not up for learning a new ski. No rush though. At my skill level I'm the biggest variable and opportunity. Not the incremental gear improvement.

And as I get older I've become more loyal to my go-to brands. Cars, tools, sports gear, etc.

• Baller
random thoughts on survey... Q26 about attending an in person testing event? interesting! questions about current ski and future ski... I have been very fortunate in that my last 2 skis (Syndicate A2, and Mapple T2), were given to me. Future ski? I'm thinking I would like to take a trip to Trophy and see what Mr Caldwell might suggest!

• Administrators
thinking about all the skis that i have run 38 on. I'm pretty good with orange, green, red, blue, and black. Not sure if i have done the deed on a yellow ski.

• Baller

@kmenard I thought that was a pretty good throw back to the MPD

Personally I put skiers high on the list. At a boat show a few years back Wade walked up to say hey and knew my wife's name from a ski with wade day.

Where as I really enjoy the sport she's just along for the ride but that greatly improved her enjoyment of the boat show.

It's a sport of people right?

• Baller

I'm not going to lie. Horton's reviews and descriptions of skis is a factor, and should have been an option. There is so little available regarding how these expensive things work, that unless you can demo multiple skis, you are really just rolling the dice. Horton takes his time to set up the ski and gives as good of feedback as possible for a word-of-mouth type review (it would be almost impossible to get "data" like a car review could of 0-60 times and G-pad numbers) that it's a solid factor.

• Baller
My first few ski choices in my teens and early 20’s were simply based on what was available at the time - a Wizard Custom (wooden from Western Auto), O'Brien Comp wooden beauty, and an EP Comp X2. All skis since then have been a choice based on who’s winning on them, more so than who’s riding them, ski reviews and of course cool graphics... Connelly Concept, HO Limited TRX 9.8, HO VTX, HO Phantom, HO VType-R and D3 IonS (first blue ski :))