Looking at a 2000 MC Prostar 190. Seeking reviews. . .

mpxj

Long time lurker - first time poster.

My dad is looking at a nearby 2000 MC Prostar 190. Boat looks to be in great condition. However, after reading up on some threads, I see mixed opinions on the 98-00 prostar 190. Some say the wake is great and the boat rides nice. Others say it is too hard and big with the hull that boat has. We do a lot of free skiing and weekend courses now and then on my 95 malibu response.

Looking for opinions on the prostar from those with experience. Will the wake be a let down after being used to the response? Or for someone who isnt trying to beat records a few times a week, will the prostar give more than he is looking for?

Thanks in advance.

• Baller
Had a '98, and it wasn't my favorite. It wasn't terrible, but there are better hulls (97+SN, 91-94PS and 95-97PS), and your Response. With that said, in this market there may actually not be better options available for purchase, depending on budget and location.

• Baller
I have a 2003 RLXI. My ski partner has a 2000 MC PS 190. We only free ski and I would consider myself novice at best (32mph -15,-22 off). With regard to your question- I’d say my Malibu has the flatter and softer wake, but the difference at my ability level, I find negligible. I am not at all unhappy to ski behind the MC. I can’t speak for shorter rope lengths or higher speeds. Good luck!

• Baller

@mpxj fwiw, I ended up getting the 2001 boat mentioned in the referenced thread above and I absolutely love it!!

So, if you can find a 2001 or newer in your price range, I would go in that direction.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

It does have the retro fit rudder. . .but with that said, I'm not sold on it. After research, I feel I should probably be looking for a 91 to 94. . .or tell the old man to pony up for something newer..

Going to go drive and ski it next wednesday. Here is the link if anyone can tell me more after looking at the ad. Tower would probably be sold off afterwards if we went with the boat.

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3891263917579001/?ref=messaging_thread&link_ref=BoatCrazy.com

• Baller

@LeonL I think the chine lock is all overblown and resolved enough by 2000 - there are 3 years of boats there 98-2000 with this hull and people haven't crashed them all on shore. There are real benefits to that 00 over the 94 - less spray deeper hull sides so its dryer on open water less spray on the passengers in a cross wind. I have a 94 and drove a 98 last year thinking of buying it. I didn't not because of the handling but because of title problems.

The seller had the boat for years and from what he reported and I felt test driving it (and this is a 98 with no rudder fin or chine inserts) is that at some points in a turn the boat shifted from feeling like a prostar 190 to feeling like a pontoon boat.

Would you want that to happen pointing on shore on a private lake? Don't think so but I felt like you could drive out of it ok with minor throttle and steering input. If you went in to a turn island with PP engaged I could see having problems. On open water this was really a non-issue.

Wakes maybe a bit harsher than my 94 but we had 3 on board and I usually have 2 people in the boat and about 10 gallons of gas.

• Baller
Good opinions. I own a '94 and had a '98 and there's no way I'd trade back into that '98. Again, the '98 was not a horrible boat, there was just something really off about it. Mine had the updated rudder, 4 fins, etc, but still just couldn't be dialed in. That hull felt rushed to market.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think after what my research, backed up by everyone here, tells me is that it could be a good boat and ski fine. However, with all the options out there we are going to keep looking. Maybe something a little newer. This 2000 was close by so convenient, but as @braindamage said, there's always another boat....

• Baller

I bought a 2000 MC Prostar 190 with low hours three years ago. We use it to ski almost every day in the summer all free skiing usually at 32 with 15 off. I have never skied a Response, but I find the Prostar very nice to ski behind. The wake is relatively soft and I like it just as well as a 2003 Prostar I ski behind regularly. Another boat I ski behind is a 1998 MC Sportstar. Although the boat has few frills, the wake is very nice, possibly because it is lighter. Here is a video of me skiing behind the 2000 Prostar to give you a sense of the wake.