D3 recommendation

BS74

• Baller

It appears that no one has a HO omega Max for demo, so can someone suggest a

D3 model to try. I'm skiing at 32 mph, 32 off but should really be skiing at 30 mph( men's 9). I'm currently on a new Senate Pro but not liking\

it that much. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I see D3 has a demo program for their skis.

• Baller_

I am in the same Division/Speed in M9 and plan on skiing 32 when skiing starts in Minnesota. You may have read on a recent thread here, that you get scored an additional 6 points for skiing 1 step faster than your Division maximum . . in Class C tournaments only. My reason for skiing 32 is because the skis behave better at higher speeds. Like controls on a plane, they don't work well as you approach stall speed. The higher score is for free because I believe I will ski as well or better at 32.

PS, I am sure you can get better advise from other skiers, but this is a start.

My comment about D3 is not so much from experience with the product but narrowing down to the most logical choice within the product line up. I have only skied on 67" EVO but have now have a 68 ION waiting in our boat house. There is a soft version of the ION but at the low speeds I don't think more soft is an advantage. Short line at low speeds it easy to have the ski over turn at the tip and softer would take you in that same direction. This doesn't really mean too much, but I watched Kris Lapoint skiing 35 and 38 off in the Nationals (YouTube) and he sometimes caught his tip on 2 and 4 and then had to regroup. Jerry H a good M10 slalom skier has made similar comments about the predictably of his turn at 35 and 38 off, where the ski over turns at the front sometimes.

Depending on your weight I suggest looking the EVO. The length would depend on your weight. This is a list of Demo sites.

http://www.d3skis.com/v/siteFiles/Where%20Can%20I%20Test%20A%20D3%2002.24.20.pdf

• Baller
SWBCA: I'm 176 lbs, so guessing a 67 inch. Skied Goode for24 years but pricing has driven me to look for alternatives. I'm on a 67 inch Radar Senate but it always feels fast into the pre turn and I don't like it in choppy water. Maybe at 30mph it would be ok, but prefer 32 mph for now. I also watched Kris LP at nationals, really like the way his ski stayed down. I'm in Orlando area, maybe I should go see Kris!

• Baller
Can't go wrong consulting with KP. D3 has a demo program that you just can't go wrong with either. Unless they've changed recently they'll send you 2 skis, try them, if you like one pay for it keep it and send the other back on their dime. If you don't like either send the both back and its costs you $70.

• Baller_

Here is some perspective about D3 ski length. A pro announcer says that Nate weighs 165. Nate says he has been on 67" skis for years and the last time I saw him ski he was on a 67" ION. To my eye he skis high and fast, and it works for him. This setup may not work for everyone of similar weight. I took the gamble of going with a 168 ION at 170 lbs and skiing 32 mph.

A friend of mine says people tend to tune or select skis to make them feel like their old ski. I plan on adapting to the 68 ION knowing it could work if I was patient and learned to ski it.

• Baller

@BS74 I ski 32mph, Just my opinion, slower speed does not necessary mean you need a wider ski, I tried the Senate and didn,t like it from the get/go , I am on a Radar Vapor Pro which I much prefer, even at 32mph, but it maybe time for a change, when my skiing is back on track, I intend to Demo the R2, but still interested in the 2021 Vapor Pro, every Vapor I have skied on, has worked for me straight away.

It really comes down to what feels right for you, if you are in the USA the D3 Demo program would be a good place to start, most people end up with a preference for certain manufacturers,

D3 certainly produce a quality product.

• Baller

@TEL's idea is the best so far.You have the chance to try almost all of them out!

Don't listen to peanut gallery comments and see (ski!) for yourself!!!

FWIW,been on 5 different Dennis Kidder skis and ALL of them have been great and VERY user friendly right out of the box

Good hunting!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!