92 Brendella steering replacemnt

Taynton

• Baller

Hi everyone, Im replacing the steering on my 92 Ski brendella shortline comp. My main question is the replacemnt helm and cable I got from sea star seems to have quite a bit of play in it. (not steering play but movement in the wheel itself). Is there a better system ie rack and pinion or maunfacturer that would work on my boat?

I would like it to feel like the newer boats (solid wheel no play up and down) if I can but not sure how to improve it since the brand new one feels sloppy. Any help or ideas is appreciated thanks!

• Baller

@Taynton Is there a SeaStar or BayStar hydraulic steering option for that type of boat? If so, I'd recommend considering it.

I have a different type of boat (outboard) so what I say here may not be relevant at all but the SeaStar mechanical cable steering system that was original to my boat never worked very well and failed after about 8 years and not actually many hours of light use. I opted to replace it with a BayStar hydraulic steering system that I installed myself and OMG what a difference! I absolutely love the hydraulic steering! So if hydraulic steering is an option on that type of boat, it's definitely worth considering.

• Baller

No, I went with a non tilt helm (again to reduce the play) my old helm was tilt and in pretty good shape but I wanted something that was tight with no slop.

at this point im going with what I have, (the shitty quality seastar) Ive put 3 helms and cables in this boat in the last week and I just wanna ski. I guess I just have to accept that my standards are too high.

In hindsight I should have just found a replacement cable for the stock helm but Im not even sure that is possible (its an old morse) if I really hate it I might go that way in the future.

thanks again for the responses!

• Baller

Many of us on older boats have added a bronze bushing or a roller bearing to the helm to get rid of the play.

The factory set up usually uses a plastic bushing with a wave washer for tension and that's just not enough.

I love tilt helms personally - they might actually give you less play because they have a double bushing set up.

• Baller

ok so the new piece of shit helm has the cable mounting 1.5'' closer to the the wheel, and thus the new cable comes up short,

now searching for a replacment cable for the old helm... this job has been a real treat.

• Baller
@Taynton - really sorry to hear of all your frustrations. Yes unfortunately it seems we’ve all had our experiences at some point of stuff that should be simple enough that turns into a massive PITA , when all you want to do is go ski! You’ll get this fixed. Great boat by the way. One of my ski buddies has a gorgeous 92. They look amazing standing still!

• Baller
I had replaced my Morse with a Sea Star a few weeks ago. 2nd time out with it yesterday noticed the wheel had the up down side to side free slop; not steering play, but the actual wheel moves. Its almost like the helm is loose in the dash (going to check that). What's this brass bearing you are talking about @BraceMaker ?

• Baller

Thanks MDB1056, Im a huge fan of the old school machines so im quite used to these type of shennanigans lol.This one is just partricualrly tough because how awkward it is to get under the dash/fish the cable thru the hull and after 3x im gertting a bit over the process.

It seems that the cable replacement is no longer available so I have to get the helm kit unless anyone knows where to find one

need a replacement cable for Morse d304411 anybody know where I can find one?

Fastguy 888- I have been told they are all like this now,

• Baller

MDB1056 yes I have read the whole thread, no part numbers included in that thread unfourtunatly.

really hoping someone has a source for a replacement cable, from the canadian distributors it appears the one i have is all thats available, I might have to order a 15' cable to get it to work.

anyone? lol

thanks again for the replys its nice to have some people to bounce ideas off

• Baller

Too long > Too Short. You can sort of S curve the cable to eat up the extra length.

@Fastguy888 - my comment is re: a tilt helm.

The standard rotary mounts behind the wheel, bolts into the dash and then has a shaft that sticks out like 6-8" to mount the wheel with a bellows. That leaves a lot of unsupported steering shaft. When you add a tilt helm the stub from the rack comes into a U joint then the wheel mounts on a shaft supported by 2 bushings.

If you have a shaft unsupported you can literally take some 1/2" plastic like a cheap cutting board and a hole saw that fits into the bellows. Cut a bunch of plastic discs using the hole saw, how many it takes to stack between the dash and the wheel such that it is just shy of the wheel's back, then you add the bellows and a thrust washer and tighten the wheel. Pretty much zero slop.

• Baller

Ok I have sourced the correct replacement cable for my original tilt helm from skidim.

its a uflex brand and its part number UFLM66X14

Thanks for the description @BraceMaker Im not 100% clear on how to do it but it might make more sense once I start. if you had a picture that would be helpful (not sure what a bellows is)

here is a pic of the boat for you guys

ffid2wwwdqhb.jpg

• Baller

update: steering cable is in and working beautifully! One finger steering! the old tilt helm is still a little sloppy but Im going to drop it off at a machine shop next winter see what we can do to tighten it up. thanks again for the tips and responses! The restoration is coming along nicely!

we now have:

new steering cable

4 speaker stereo

heater

whats left:

small upholstry repairs

strut bushing

re-fiberglass the mufflers

hot water shower install

cut and polish

re-oil platform

speed control (not sure if im going to use the old school RPM cruise control or go with a PP system)

yikes when you put it in writing it seems like a lot!

damn old boats! lol

• Baller_
@Taynton - If your helm slop is steering wheel rotation, verify it is not the U joint clamping nut/screw part, they tend to loosen just a bit. If it is the vertical play in the tilt teeth, machine shop is probably the answer. As @BraceMaker noted, it seems to me that the constant use and/or when people push down on the wheel when exiting the captains chair, that wears the teeth. I did an update on my boat and as noted, the Seastar quality is not at the level of the old Morse ones. Lots of machining later on my buddy's bridgeport and got it to fit.

• Baller

@Taynton, Great job and beaut boat. Slightly off topic. Do you know what spec the shaft is?

I need to replace mine but lost as where to find, what to get?