How hard shells started

Deanoski

• Baller

1986 ARC Proto hard shell

the reflex would come out in 1994 The Goode Velcro system 1993 I believe

In 1992 we had roller blades that we would heat up and flatten the sole Then bolt them to the Uhmw sole plates thick and stiff and heavy base plates

MOB still uses the release system

I now use a D 3 T factor and I must say it Ski’s very well and way less maintenance

• Baller

@cruznski in 1989 ARC went it to production we made 100 pair our first year

@keithh2oskier 25lbs its crazy heavy plus that ski was no light weight skiing 36mph get into -32 on that I bet I could make my opener on it now.

• Baller_

Without some crazy guy trying new stuff we would never make any progress and would still be skiing on 8’ long 1x6” planks with tennis shoes nailed to them.

3 cheers to all those who have tried some crazy ass idea and failed miserably - and then kept going!

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@Drago I have lightened the system somewhat, I started using @Deanoski ’s system in ‘93 and was running deep 39off at 34mph on it. Though it was lighter by the time I started with it. My current build:

zzabnl0p18bj.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
A skier named Kenny Wolf in Ohio made me a hard shell trick binder in late 70's. He used a roller blade boot mounted on Hard plastic, and it was secured on the ski with with 3M triple loop velco. The plate had to be hammered on with a rubber mallet. When you caught an edge it would release. At the time it was much safer than a rubber boot.

• Baller_

@The_MS i wish I could take that credit?

I actually talked with Dean in the late ‘80’s and thought the arc concept was really cool but never did try them. At the time, factory’s rubber bindings were crap and I was building my own extra high, extra stuff rubber boots based on Kidder’s trick wrap. Oh, and I wrapped both boots with duck tape for more support. Never came out of them.

I started experimenting with hard shells in the late ‘90’s. Suffice it to say the first few attempts were abysmal failures, but I learned a lot and now have a kickass setup that works great for me.

No comment on the dual lock?

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding