Middle or back of boat to map course stargazer

foxriverat

• Baller
I just upgraded my PP to stargazer. What position on the boat are most of you mapping the course from through the gates? PP 2012 video says middle of boat which is how I did it on my old Supra. The 2019 online manual says back of the boat. Does it make a difference? Thanks.

• Baller
I have found it better at the back of the boat than at the pylon. Because the map is virtual other than the gates, I think where it beeps is more about how accurate your course is. The map is perfect and I'm sure most courses are not.

• Baller
I mapped it with the pylon like my last boat. Ran it through the course after at 30.4 mph with no skier and had full course time of 19.05 With a skier at 32.3 it ran a few dead on at 17.93 and a few .02 off. Good enough for me.

• Baller

I have always used the back of the boat, which is what it describes in the V9.2 instructions. I'm not sure how this impacts the pull/timing, but I will say that it "beeps" at the right time as I'm going through the course: right as the windshield hits the gate, system beeps. That's almost right on where my old magnet pickup used to be, so it feels and sounds right to me.

Also, I've always mapped both ends of the course separately. Meaning: I spin the boat around and head IN to the course.

I can't speak to "does it make a difference", because this is just what I've always done.

Frankly, the Pylon would make more sense to me, but the PP Instructions make a point to say "rear of the boat". They even have a diagram in the instructions.

• Baller

I'd say yes technically it would make a difference as if you map to the pole / nose / screen etc rather than the back of the boat, PP will think the course is around 20-25ft longer than it is - most tournament boats are 20ft long, with the pole roughly midship. The control box and GPS module are specifically installed in front of the driver, so I presume, they use this offset for calculating when to start/finish timing and buoy beeps. i.e. I presume the black box just takes the co-ordinates, calculates the vector between them, then just divides it up and stores the co-ordinates of when to beep & start finish timing.

But realistically, at normal skiing speeds and for the average 15/22off skier, it probably doesn't matter, but those special few people running 39/41 and less would probably notice the difference in ms of time difference but would probably chalk it up to the difference between PP and ZO