For those who have sold and shipped skis on SIA or by other means

Skiphreak

• Baller

I have a number of slalom skis I’m looking to unload. The last time I attempted to sell, the shipping rates for UPS and FedEx were higher than what I had even sold the skis for (quotes

of $100-200 for ground shipping). For those who have sold skis and shipped considerable distances to buyers, what did you use for shipping and were you paying this much to ship?

It just seems like a lot of skis get sold (on SIA for instance) and I can’t imagine people are paying that much to ship. Or am I wrong?

• Baller

For me it’s usually sub-$80 but that is using our UPS account with volume-negotiated rates. With boxes exceeding 70”, overages come into play. As small a box as safely possible is the key.

High volume OEMs probably pay $10 to ship a ski, the rest of us aren’t so lucky

• Baller

Just bought a ski for a buddy West Virginia to Oregon for $70 via fedex ground.

I spent 30 years in the mail order business, USPS is the cheapest but most unreliable, UPS is expensive and somewhat more reliable. FedEx is by far the most reliable and fairly well priced.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller

Fwiw, FedEx reliability must vary regionally. Around here they are the slowest and least reliable way to ship things. I groan every time someone ships me something via FedEx because I have absolutely no idea when it will finally show up.

If you set up a free shipper account on ups there are typically promo codes that get you a large discount. EASY has been a recent one.

• Baller
Have you called your local UPS, USPS, or FedEx? I bought some jumpers on ski-it-again, and the rate that I found on the online calculator was huge, something close to $400, but when the person shipped it, he somehow got it down to under $100

• Baller
I sell slalom skis fairly often, for myself and my ski partners. I use USPS, almost exclusively. It has been the cheapest and fastest, 2-3 days every time using priority shipping. Radar uses the same size box, from what I’ve seen, for every ski no matter the size, so shipping using their boxes is higher. If I’m shipping a smaller ski, I cut the Radar boxes to fit the ski. I shipped a ski last week, South Alabama to Northern California and that one ran me $82. That’s the most I’ve ever paid. Usually it’s $60-ish.

• Baller
@jgills88 My local UPS store quoted me $188 from CT to Utah for their cheapest ground shipping. I almost fell over. No FedEx in close proximity. Sounds like USPS is def the way to go. I’m going to give it another shot with them. Thanks everyone!

• Baller
Just be aware that at the UPS store you are paying the highest possible price for shipping UPS. Not to mention if you use them and have an insurance claim, the money goes to them as the shipper and then you have to get it from them. UPS Store is a franchise. If you ship UPS - go to UPS.com and pay for your shipping there/print label - after googling a promo code. Then you can drop it off at a UPS store but you are still the shipper and have paid a lower price.

• Baller
Length of the box makes a big difference. I shipped a ski two weeks ago. I had an original Radar Box which was 75 inches long (71 Inch ski). Estimated shipping was $140. I cut the box down and it came in just under 72 inches in length, estimated cost was about half. Ultimately buyer used his corporate account which was a much better rate, and sent me the label. Still dropped his costs in half when I cut the box down.

• Baller

Cost of shipping has really increased. I sold 4 old but desirable skis 2019 pre COVID and used USPS for continental US- the box has to be the minimum dimensions, certainly not weight for a blank ski, it was less than UPS or FedEx then. Anyway they all got there. I shipped a pair of really old jump with bindings skis I had back east ( I am in NorCal ) we split the cost but it was 30% of the sale price. So yes @Hallpass box length makes a big difference. I custom cut down a box once for that reason.