Who removes their reflex boot on the regular

• Baller

So I was thinking about this and wondering if my use of my reflex is incorrect.

I haven't actually removed the boot from the plate in a long time. At the end of the ride, I undo the 3 latches and leave the boot attached to the ski. Knock on wood I haven't fallen in a way that uses the release mechanism but have tested it on the dock.

Should I regularly remove the boot from the plate? Is their risk to leaving it connected 99% of the time?

• Baller_

I doubt that leaving it attached most of the time is bad for the binding, but no matter how you store it, you should check the release function periodically. While holding on the something solid, push your knee forward to make the binding release. It should release somewhere between moderate and significant pressure with moderate being too light and signify being too heavy. If you have a snow ski shop nearby, they could use a binding release tester to check the release setting.

FYI, all the Reflex skiers I know take the boot off the ski so they can sit down while putting their boot on, then step on the platform and click in. But I don’t think it matters what you do for functionality purposes as long as you check the release mechanism periodically.

By the way, your photograph that goes with your name is spectacular.

Lpskier

• Baller

Thanks for the input. I do need to be better about testing the release mechanism on a more regular basis. I know for a fact I haven't don't it this year and have taken 20 sets. I'll do it before I ski next.

I know I was happy with the release when I first set it up through the method Horton had done at one point.

@lpskier Here is the whole pic. I had to crop it for the profile pic. This was memorial day weekend at about 7am. Just before the glare comes over the levee and blinds the 2,4,6.

6oty836ykt6d.jpeg

• Baller

I always remove my boot and I highly recommend you do particularly if you have the carbon plate.

One of my ski partners always left hers attached and had a couple pre-release incidents last year. She replaced the spring and still had a problem. I had her let me take a look at it before this season started and we ended up replacing both her boot and the plate with a G10 plate. My theory is that both items had taken a set to them from being attached constantly. The front toe-bar was tight on the plate, but it was angled forward a few degrees. The toe of the boot was flattened out a bit. This combination was non-optimal. The release system is composed of more than just the release mechanism - you need to pay attention to all the parts!

If you've had a carbon plate for any length of time take it off the ski and look at it. I bet it's not perfectly flat anymore.

• Baller
One of my ski partners had the front toe bar work itself loose over time and the pre release crash wasn't pretty, there's plenty of hardware that really can't be checked with the shells locked in, at least remove once in a while and check everything?

• Baller

Funny I eject my release in the water and then get into the boat and remove the boot. I install onto my foot and then install to the ski.

I wonder does anyone downhill ski, finish for the day head to apres ski leaving their boots on their skis by unbuckling and slipping into their shoes?

I will not remove my boot in the water they float till the liner comes out..... then not.

I buckle my boot to my gloves and vest before I ski.

• Baller

Keep it attached to your ski while in the boat at least so it don't go flying into the lake when the rope catch it...

Yes.

Me.

200$. :)

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!