Transition from Wiley high wrap to hard shell .

Marks196

• Baller
For the record hard shells just didn't work for me. I tried for a season back about 06 or so but the releases kicked the crap out of my shins! Other than the occasional experiment I have been on Radar semi-shell type boots since 09.

• Baller
The hard shells are way more comfortable offer more lateral support, and say goodbye to cramps at least in your front foot. I changed both rubber, to hardshell and it took a half dozen sets to feel right, but in the end if your feet are bothering you that will end.

• Baller

I have been on hard shells for 18 plus yes now using a D 3 T factor better ski feel and way stiffer latterly then a Blk reflex shell Plus less hazel put soap on a go

No worries if release tension is correct to tight or to lose And extra hard shell maintenance

• Administrators
@Marks196 there's a number of old threads about hard shell setup. I've made a couple of videos that can be found. Please review these or make sure that somebody with a lot of experience helps you set up your system. Once you wrap your head around how release systems work it's not complicated but most people that do have issues have issues when they first transition.

• Baller_

It would be an easier transition to go to D3 T-Factor. the men's World record holder and many other skiers on this forum use this binding which is a rubber binding with lateral support. It comfortable, easy to get in and out, and it releases safely.

yafzmh7l7gs9.png

• Baller
@Marks196 ...Binding position. Measuring from the tail to the rear of the front boot may not be apples to apples. Take careful note of where your ankle bone is in relation to the back of each and go from there.

• Baller

Elizabeth Montavon had a post on instagram about this. She says she struggled with the change until sh heeded the following advice. Slow down two speeds at your opening pass. Make that and increase to down one speed. I presume, she means two mph per speed change.

She says that after that your opening pass will feel just like it used to.

I would add, keep the top buckles fairly loose at first.

• Baller

Finally got my hard shell fitted , really surprised at the ease of transition.

Still taking it steady but not the shock to the system I was expecting.

Dropped my start speed back 4 mph and ran several passes .

Thanks again for all the helpful information.