Engine Code 2012 Ski Nautique 200 409 pcm engine

skinut

• Baller

Need help from knowledgeable ballers about an engine code that appeared while skiing Saturday. The code said ECT 116 ECT higher than expected at stage one.

I was skiing behind the boat when we lost power and the code appeared. Engine temps where normal and when we opened up the clamshell the engine and exhaust manifolds didn't seem any warmer than normal. I turned off the battery to clear the code. The boat never showed the code again as we went a back to the dock at 30 mph. I check my impeller and it seemed to be in one piece. Any ideas? Do I have a bad sensor? Thanks in advance.

hg5bta2cfacz.jpg

• Baller

From the Diacom Manual for PCM engines:

DTC 0116 - ECT Higher Than Expected Stage 1

SPN - 110; FMI - 15

• Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor

• Check Condition - Engine Running

• Fault Condition - Engine Coolant Temperature reading greater than 200 degrees F when operating at a speed greater than 600 RPM

• Corrective Action(s) - Sound audible warning or illuminate secondary warning lamp, disable adaptive learn fueling correction during active fault. Recommend a power derate 1/2 and/or a low rev limit to protect engine from possible damage.

• Non-emissions related fault

The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor is a thermistor (temperature sensitive resistor) located in the engine coolant. This is used for engine airflow calculation, ignition timing control, to enable certain features, and for engine protection. The ECM provides a voltage divider circuit so when the sensor reading is cool the sensor reads higher voltage, and lower when warm.

This fault will help protect the engine in the event of over temperature. When the coolant exceeds 200 deg. F and engine RPM exceeds 600 RPM for 60 seconds this fault will set.

Diagnostic Aids

□ If the “ECT High Voltage” fault is also present, follow the troubleshooting procedures for that fault as it may have caused “ECT Higher Than Expected 1.”

□ Check that the heat exchanger has a proper amount of ethylene glycol/water and that the heat exchanger is not leaking

□ Ensure that there is no trapped air in the cooling path

□ Inspect the cooling system (radiator and hoses) for cracks and ensure connections are leak free

□ Check that the raw water pickup is not blocked/restricted by debris and that the hose is tightly connected

□ Check that the thermostat is not stuck closed

□ Check that the raw water pump/impeller is tact and that it is not restricted

• Baller

I have seen this happen pretty much as you described. In that case, it turned out to be the water strainer clear plasitc body was not fully seated - which was allowing a small amount of air to enter the cooling water system when underway. Apparently, it doesn't take much air intrusion to get that low level, stage 1 temperature alarm.

Great list for troubleshooting posted by @Kelvin