Is transmission rattle normal for ProStar 190 when in reverse at low rpm ?

swbca

• Baller_

This 2004 ProStar is fairly new to me. In reverse at minimum throttle there is often a rattle from freeplay in the transmission or drive train. Its a sound I remember from my 1986 ProStar which I bought new but never worried about it. Is this freeplay rattle normal. Both boats had a 1:1.5 geared unit.

I'm asking because when I drove a 2008 Ski Nautique 196 2 days ago the transmission was super smooth and quiet. Could barely feel or hear anything putting it in gear and there was no rattle.

• Baller_

I guess the Rattle is standard on the ZF 63A transmission. Somewhere in the past ZF started specifying 15W40 motor oil to suppress the rattle and 15W40 is specified in the 2004 Master Craft owners manual. That's been used in this boat from the beginning and I changed the oil last fall with 15W40. But it still rattles just like my last 1:1.5 ProStar transmission.

Maybe I'll put chain saw bar oil in it . . that stuff is really viscous and sticky :smile:

• Baller_

@LeonL I wasn't serious about Chain Saw Bar Oil. Do you remember the STP Oil Additive to stop cars from burning oil ? It took a few minutes to pour a 10 oz can of that stuff into your engine. Nothing would rattle with straight STP . . not going to try that either.

I don't care that much about the rattle as long its not a warning that something is getting ready to fall apart. My 86 ProStar Power Slot had the same rattle at 50 hours and probably when new.