5.7 Ilmor troubles

Wheels

Hey, long time BOS reader, but have never actually posted anything.

I have a '13 MC 197 TT.

While towing slalom sets this morning, the boat bogged and shut down, while pulling my 10 yr old daughter out of the water.

It started right back up, but was revving 1500 rpm, and then shut down.

It did this several times.

Display said service required.

We towed it in and will take to local dealer tomorrow.

Oil pressure & engine temp were good,

Maybe 10 hours since full synthetic oil change.

Boat has been running great. Towed myself & my son, (34 & 36 mph shortline), before dying midway through my daughter's set.

Just wondering if any of you have any ideas as to what might be going on.

If there is a quick fix, rather than sending it to the dealer for who knows how long, I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks.

• Baller
Yup - if you are going to own an out of warranty boat, it is good to figure out how to at least read the codes. If you have to wait around for a dealer to look at and fix everything in a place with a short season, boat ownership will be painful. It is good you were able to get it in right away, here that would be a 2 week wait this time of year.

• Baller

There's so much that can go wrong with these it's tough to know where to start looking without a code reader at a minimum. With the high idle issue, I'd think maybe TPS/PPS as part of the drive by wire system. Errors in that system will force a non-operable condition as a default.

When it bogged, did it sound like it was trying to maintain RPM but running rough, or was it a forced limp-mode?

Does your 13 have any sort of engine code display or simply an illuminated check engine light?

PM me if you end up needed any major engine parts, I know where a 5.7 MV8 is hiding, in pieces.

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. It ended up being a throttle positioning servo/motor. IT could also have been anything else like the ski throttle position sensors, throttle position sensors, computer etc. I'm going to agree that you need to go to the dealer for this one. In my case, there were no codes thrown so it's likely in your case to be upstream of the computer output. It's always worth checking the cap and rotor and fuel filter if there is one.

• Baller

@MNshortliner I do not, sorry. On Teamtalk there's a thread for pulling codes from Ilmor engines. I think there were a few cheaper options and then a $500+ (correct) option.

I'm putting an MV8 into a 1991 and suspect I'm going to need a code reader for it, lol. I'll update if I find anything that works well.

• Baller

@MNshortliner -

https://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/malibu/malibu_2012_manual.pdf

Page 38. Go to the Service/Diagnostics/Fault Codes Menu

So that gets you the basic info - the fault code which can give you a good idea of things to look at. If you want all the captured sensor data for the fault or want to clear the fault then you need the diacom/techmate. I have the Diacom because it is a lot easier to read and log data but you need a laptop to use it. The techmate is a standalone device.

Thanks oldjeep, I appreciate your knowledge on this!

I will try to find the code tomorrow morning.

I have not had much luck today.

When I went to hook up my trailer I found a bulging tire crack on my single axle trailer!

Luckily, had a spare, but won't get to the dealer until tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's input.