engine running rough need suggestions

ToddF

I have 2004 indmar tbi 350

yesterday it started running poorly it happened suddenly just cruising at around 2500 rpm.

1.It won't start unless I give it a lot of gas, and it will barely idle around 500

2.Blowing lots of smoke while doing it

3. when it is idling it is quite rough and on the verge of dying.

4. All 8 plugs were wet black and sooty

What I have done.

30 psi fuel pressure but it bleeds off as soon as I turn key off, not sure if it should keep the pressure for a few minutes

Injectors are spraying a normal spray.

replaced the ignition control module, even tested it, but that didn't help

tried a different map sensor, nothing..

New plugs, wires and cap/rotor are all fairly new and look fine.

I haven't done a compression test mostly because all 8 cylinders looked identical.

There is no odd noise except for the engine sounding like it has a giant vacuum leak.

Any thoughts and Ideas would be great.

should fuel pressure bleed off that quickly with the tbi?

thanks

Todd

• Baller

try doing the paperclip test, bridge A&B on the ODB connector on the engine and watch for any engine codes.

It sounds like the IACV is playing up and may need a clean. Search for your MEFI diagnostic manual (MEFI3 ?) and run through the diagnostic tests.

the fuel pressure sounds OK, it will bleed off pretty quick, it's only to prime just before starting.

• Baller

by 2004 it should be mefi 4/5. unplug one sensor at a time and run it. take notes. be careful with paperclip if its mefi 5 that is a problem. if mefi 4 its not.

every sensor when disconnected has a baseline. so if every connector was unplugged the mefi should default to a very generic map that runs OK but not great. when you unplug one and it runs better you have a culprit.

so, unplugging the IAC it didn't want to start at all, I tested and it moves back and forth.

Unplugging the newish TPS it ran almost better than plugged in hard to tell

but .58-3.85v's through the throttle range, seemed a bit low at full throttle

swapped out another tps and it didn't help.

I also noticed that the distributor is mildly loose can turn by hand but doesn't move on its own easily, so I don't think that is it.

@BraceMaker how do you know if it is mefi 4 or 5

• Baller

@ToddF they are visibly different. i would bet you have mefi 4 by year but thats a vintage Ive not owned.

You need to get the timing set. you need to get it into timing mode and use a timing light to do this if its mefi 4 the paperclip will put it in timing mode.

disconnect your engine coolant temperature sensor and retest (after timing.

• Baller

So long as mefi 4 or earlier.... MEFI 5 has the same plug for the reader but if you jumper it with the mefi code made you'll hurt the computer. I thought for MC MEFI-5 was in late 2006 but I've never owned an MC from 2002 or newer.

kffycr01irlp.png

• Baller

Cheaper than Amazon. https://skidim.com/gm-mefi-code-reader-winky-blinky.html

GM MEFI CODE READER (WINKY BLINKY)

IN STOCK Item #: RIN94008

Be the first to review this product

$75.00

Qty

ADD TO CART

Add to Wish List

Description:

* Works On GM Based MEFI 1- MEFI 4

* Reads Fault Codes And To Set Ignition Timing

* Perfect For Low Volume Repair/Troubleshoot

*Not for use with MEFI 5 or 2001 and newer Mercruiser ECM-555 or PCM-555.

* Not for use on 2006 up Indmar (MEFI 5) or 2007 up PCM (E-controls).

• Baller_
@ToddF - you might want to swap out all the springs, can be done using compressed air in each cylinder at its TDC then swapping out the spring. Saves removing the cylinder head, although you might want to have a look at the top of the offending cylinders piston and I would do a leak down test to confirm if all is good in that hole.