BUREAUCRACY POLL: AWSA Splits from USAWS/IWWF

ToddL

• Baller

In another thread, additional requirements upon members sparked some discussion about governing body bureaucracy. I know AWSA splitting off has been discussed in the past. It typically fizzles out with some form of "we have become dependent upon their funding and it would be too hard to do it ourselves" conclusion. Rather than debate that statement, I have a different question in my head. It comes from the perspective of "how many skiers really need/want anything more than the original scope of 'independent' AWSA?" So, rather than debate personal preference in a flood of comments, let's get a poll pulse of the volume of skiers who fall into these categories below.

Assumption: Pro, Elite, and Record tournaments can still conform to IWWF/World Ranking criteria, but would have to sanction them separately somehow with IWWF (not sure how this would work??)

Poll Question: If AWSA actually did split away from IWWF/USAWS (some form of liability still provided by AWSA to only AWSA members), which best describes your participation in that scenario:

• Baller

Can’t really be done.

IWWF Recognizes USAWS&WS the official governing body of water skiing in the United States. The only way to participate in IWWF events is to be a member of that governing body. USA wakeboard primarily exist to only send elite athletes to events as almost all of wakeboarding events are run outside of USA wakeboard. The same is true for wake surfing.

Keep in mind if a AWSA splits they would more than likely have to take a vehicle to move collegiate and adaptive with them as well. Again this creates an issue for sending world teams.

• Baller

@MattP - can't implies impossible. Yet, you just inferred the possibility by specifying some additional pieces necessary.

Still, I thought I was pretty clear above about not beating the dead horse of "should we / could we". This poll is all about "what if it happened".

• Baller
At one time, @jdarwin was supposed to be our new leader. I nominate @ForrestGump and @skidawg to co-chair the new ATWSCA. American Traditional Water Ski Competitors Association. Would you be a member of "atwhiska"?

• Baller
Clarification; The WWA was around long before USA-WB, it was created because the skiers were anti wakeboarding at the time. Once USA-WS saw the money, numbers, and growth of wakeboarding, they decided they were going to be the governing body. No legit wakeboarder recognizes USA-WB as the governing body, and many don’t even support it’s events.

• Administrators

@ToddL

Are you familiar with the IndyCar / CART fiasco?

Sometimes the organization you belong to is not ideal but if you completely flip over the Apple cart the result would be worse.

• Baller

@Horton I get that and mostly agree. Like I said above the whole "should we" argument has been beat down pretty sufficiently. I was just curious if it were to happen, how'd people react. It is still an interesting question even if doing so would stop the apples from getting delivered.

@unksskis - interesting. So, if none of them support USAWS events, are the events they participate in part of any other organized body or is competition something done as only independently at local parks?

• Baller
@unksskis - you may have missed my question: So, if none of them support USAWS events, are the events in which they participate part of any other organized body or is competition something done as only independently at local parks?