Advice on next ski

jbanjo

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, but have spent some time poking around and thought it'd be a good idea to ask for some advice from people who clearly know a lot more about water skiing than I do.

I'm 53, 6'2" tall, and my weight fluctuates between 195 and 205. I've been skiing for 42 years, free skiing only, mostly on the Colorado River, and occasional CA/NV lakes. I grew up riding a EP Comp 1, 65" that I skied on until about 8 years ago when I grabbed a used HO Burner 67" that I have been riding ever since. I typically ski behind a Yamaha 212SS jet boat with a 75 foot rope at 30-34mph, and occasionally get to ski behind a friends Malibu Wakesetter, which is way better from a wake perspective, but still with a 75 foot rope. I do ski aggressively and like to cut hard and have to negotiate a relatively large wake behind the Yamaha.

I'm looking at picking up a new ski, and was looking for suggestions. In reading post on here I think I may be on a ski that to short for me, but I still ride a 65 Burner, or 69 Senate, if I'm in someone else's boat and that's what's available, and I'm just happy to get on the water, so not super picky.

I was looking at the HO Omni, or perhaps a used TX, and am thinking I should be looking at a 69" perhaps, but am 100% open to suggestions based on the knowledge you guys have. My thinking had been that shorter would be more responsive in general, but I'm learning that that's not necessarily true depending on boat speed and other factors.

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can provide!

John

• Baller
@32-34 MPH you are pretty much smack dab in the middle of the 68" range for the top skis. There's at least an argument for a 69" senate if you ski 30 MPH or slower (they don't come in 68") and maybe an argument for a 67" Senate of you are skiing the full 34 MPH and intend to shorten the rope ever.

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated!

I'm probably inclined towards the lower side in regards to speed since high speed wipe outs are more difficult to recover from as I age, but I also face a bigger wake at lower speeds behind my boat, so there's that to consider as well. Regardless I don't see myself skiing below 30 because it just doesn't feel right no matter what ski I'm on.

Heading to the river for the weekend, and I think I'll ride my buddies Senate 69, but I'll put my bindings on it, since his are bigger and feel too sloppy for me to really push the ski. I think that will be enlightening.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll keep an eye out for more and follow up as I learn more this weekend.

John

• Baller

I recently skied with Glenn Campbell (skier not singer) - he asked me to try the O’Brien G6. I have been skiing pretty well, so I agreed..

Damn, that ski is amazing..he dialled in my fin settings from my MC, and I ripped through 35’@36 on my first set…i can’t recommend this ski enough.. it is fast, balanced and very stable. I have been told that it might be a revamped Elite/ sixam?

Anyway, If I was in the market for a new ski, this would be at the top of my list..not often do I jump on a ski and think that it will make me a better skier..after 2 sets, I jumped back on the MC, and it felt equally as awesome - so I reluctantly handed the G6 back…

The best bit - the price. Don’t listen to those who say it is cheapo quality..Glenn is about 115kgs and still runs into 41@36 - he has never had any issues with quality, longevity etc of these skis..