Matthew Brown

MarcusBrown

• Baller_

Well, I hate to bring you all this news (to those that knew him) but @matthewbrown passed away peacefully last night, surrounded by family, after almost a decade long battle with 2 different types of cancer....actually beating them both, at different times, before finally having it get the best of him. He fought till the very end....until the last possible millisecond....much like many of us have skied a pass, maybe our toughest pass....not giving up and not losing hope, until the very last possible moment. 51 years. 18,800 days. Lots of laughs and memories.

Water skiing, in many ways, was his life. Undoubtedly he had great perspective on it, and realized it was just an arbitrary sport, that means next to nothing on the face....but that it was a vessel, or a vehicle with which each and every one of us can express ourselves...can find community,...can push our boundaries....and ultimately become better versions of ourselves. He loved it for the challenge and the chase of trying to understand the most technical details at the most elite levels....and he loved it for the community, friends and memories it afforded him and the people he loved, along the way.

I'll have you know, without a doubt, that John Horton and the BOS community he created, helped to keep Matt fighting all these years. It helped him stay connected to a kick ass group of passionate, knowledgeable and caring people. It gave him something to focus on, through the tough times and the pain. It kept him going, even when he no longer could get behind the boat himself. AND, it reminded him that he wasn't alone....that many people out there are fighting their own battles, and it helped him learn how to fight his own fight, with grace and class.

Here's the story about how Matthew changed the trajectory of my family's life:

My parents were pioneers of sorts, and adventurers. My father built his first boat...an old wooden flat bottom with an outboard, probably in the early 60's. That kicked off 20 years of recreational skiing all over the US and Canada....every summer a different lake or river. BUT, it was open water recreational skiing.....NO BUOYS.

Until 1983, when my brother decided he wanted to try a tournament - Twin Cities, in Sacramento, Novice division. Matt ended up winning, getting the trophy (and probably some cool glasses or something), and THAT moment changed everything for us. That moment was the moment we became competitive water skiers. Matthew was the tip of the spear for our family (in more than one way, of course), and literally everything my family and I have been lucky enough to gain from this sport, was all because we were able to stand on the shoulders of the giant that came before us....Matthew Brown.

The rest is not worth digging through now, but the reality is that Water Skiing has given our family so much, and gave him so much....right till the very end. And it was his own doing. He carved that path for himself, whether he knew it or not.

The only other story that needs to be shared now, is another water ski story of the last year and a half of his life: He was broken down, battling 2 types of cancer, and doing all the treatments he could....but still hungry for life. And about 18 months ago, Terry Winter and his family moved back to California, and lived here at the lake with us. Almost every day, from Jan 1 through the summer, Terry skied. And Matthew was in the boat, for most of those ski rides....learning, coaching, sharing, thriving....living. And I got to be there for a lot of that time, witnessing the power of passion...and dedication. It was a gift, and something that kept MB going when probably nothing else would've.

Below is what I shared on social media...if you were close enough to MB to have a funny or powerful story, PLEASE feel free to share! If you didn't have the chance to know Matt, he was usually the funniest guy in the room, and always looked people in the eye and gave them his full attention.

xv0omzx47z16.jpg

This picture isn’t necessarily the MB many of you remember, but this is the MB of the last 8+ years: humble, focused, loving, loved, defiant, passionate, wise. He became a Warrior. And those of us who were fortunate enough to be in the trenches with him, learned something from him in that time.

But he was a force even before cancer. And he touched a lot of people throughout his 51 years. He made a lot of people laugh. He made a lot of people feel good. And he somehow always ended up wearing other people’s favorite shit: hats, sunglasses, shirts...didn’t matter, somehow he always ended up inheriting the best of what other people had to offer. My best hat would go missing, and a week later I would see Matt wearing it proudly, almost as if it had been his all along. But you liked him too much to call him out…or at least I did. In fact, for me, he was my bullseye from day one,....the guy I looked up to, and aimed at....always wanted to be like. And he was pretty damn awesome to me, even when I was that “little brother” that always wanted to tag along for everything.

I’ve never known life without him. It’s day #1 after Matthew and there’s a hole. And I know there’s going to be a hole for a lot of you out there as well. And I don’t really know what to say to that...except thank you. Thank you for being a friend to him...A person that he loved spending time with, skiing with or laughing with. Thank you for being a part of Matthew’s journey, in whatever way you were. He was who he was, because of ALL of us who had the chance to cross paths with him. So thank you whoever you are. And I’m sorry to bring you this news today.

Nothing planned to commemorate him as of now, but I will post at a later date, if and when I have that information.

I just wanted to end by sharing the beginnings of a thought stream I experienced, and typed out 16 days ago, on one of the toughest mornings of Matt’s journey:

HUMANITY: It’s like Gravity….it exists, whether you believe in it or not. Whether you actually look for it, or have already given up. Either way, it doesn’t matter….its still there...but its a Tango. You must show up to find it, and to feel it…..its the ultimate leap of faith, definition of faith, marker of true faith. Faith in the ones to your left and your right….it means you’re still here, still “grounded”, still have skin in the game,...It means you rely on and provide for the ones you can look in the eyes…...Humanity is our name for it, right now, on this Earth...but no matter what the “name”...its the same everywhere in the Universe: you absolutely know that you’ve felt this, at some point in your life....and the only way forward out of whatever hole we’ve stumbled into, is directly thru that “thing”....to let it work through us...to be humanity...to realize “we are it”….this moment. Here. Now. Real. Raw…. feel it. STOP and feel it. Smell it. Taste it. Be…..with the ones you love.”

• Administrators
I just don't have the words. Matt and I had a lot of long phone conversations in the last couple of years. One of the funniest and smartest people I know. I cannot express how much I will miss him.

• Baller

Matt was undeniably an amazing skier but also a great guy you could argue with and still have beers with after... He wouldn't always agree with you (me) but would definitely try to see your (my) point of view. He will be sorely missed by me for sure and the rest of the skiing community. Life definitely isn't fair. He skied how I always aspired to. Bad ass on the water and funny and down to earth off. We are all better off for having known Matt and having him as a friend! Prayers for you and your family Marcus. Please let us know if you and your family need anything.

• Baller

F&*$ cancer, man.

I understand the brother, the ski partner, the personal "bogey" type of relationship like you had with Matt; very similar to what I had with Jim which leaves me in tears right now.

Matt and I corresponded offline some about skiing, personal ethics and, yes, cancer.

Matt sure is a first-rate individual, I couldn't help but be continually impressed by his character; and character matters.

Hang in there Marcus--it gets a little easier in time, but damn it's slow.

• Baller
As an East Coaster, I'd only get to see Matt a couple times a year, sometimes just once....But we'd always start talking like we saw each other last week, and ramble on about all sorts of things. Prayers and Peace to you Marcus.

• Baller

Thank you for a fine well thought out post and tribute about your brother, family, and community and how for sone of us waterskiing ties it all together.

The people, memories, relationships can ground a person and a family.

• Baller_

Damnit. I knew he had struggles with cancer but thought he was out of the woods. He was a great guy and he will be missed. I lost my brother to cancer at age 49 and it sucks.

Thanks for posting and letting us know Marcus. Prayers to all your family.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Members
I reached out to Matt once to critique a video of my skiing. He said sure and gave me some good things to work on. Any thread that I have seen him post in, I would immediately look at because he had such a good eye for coaching. He will be missed. Condolences to your family Marcus.

• Baller
I met him in 2012 at nationals. I dont know if i'd ever seen a better skier ever. I'm just sad. He always answered random ski questions I had over the years. Man what a kick to the ..... I'm so sorry Marcus for you and your family. Matt Brown was one of a kind

I met Mat on a flight after nationals at Okeeheelee and allways remembered how friendly a guy he was. We talked about everything skiing, his brother Marcus, come on out and ski with us . Like so many others he touched we will allways remember that friendly nice guy Mat Brown. Sincere condolences

• Baller

I lost my older brother in 1994 after a long battle with cancer. It's hard to express what an influence a great brother can have on your life. The laugh's, the stories, the motorcycle trips, the camping, and definitely the fun times at the lake, trying to throw big spray to impress each other.

Sincerest condolences....Losing a brother sucks.

• Baller
I started reading this thread yesterday as my family was preparing a video for a gathering last night in honor of our son who passed away one year ago this week. It was heartening to read these kind thoughts and loving memories of a person who meant so much to their community. Wishing the best for MB’s family and friends.