D3 EVO cracked bevel below clear coat in front of front boot.

swbca

• Baller_

Been skiing on the D3 EVO for about 5 weeks, It was new sitting in a closet before then. I don't believe this ski came with this 8" crack. However, the slight lateral shift in the black to red margin at the crack could suggest it happened during production since the clear coat covering crack in the color layer is not cracked.

So is this entirely cosmetic or something else ?

dsnt2sfzaemf.png

• Baller_

@BraceMaker @Horton If this is just minor cosmetic detail, as members who are familiar with the issue say, I'm not concerned and don't need customer service. I was just looking for information and learned that customer service wasn't necessary in about 5 minutes.

Having this "common" detail addressed in the forum may answer other owner's questions in the future.

• Baller

@swbca specific to D3 my experience has been that they do really tight QC even on the graphics.

That said they do sell all the demo and blem skis that are structurally sound. So there are blems out there cheaper. Not sure which route you went.

• Baller_

@BraceMaker I bought the ION and EVO blanks at about $300-$400 discount from a well known online dealer. The ION had a dent in the sidewall behind the rear binding causing a blister in the resin on the top of the ski at the impact point. The EVO had this very minor graphics issue and came without the hardware kit and wing. Neither cosmetic issue impacted the actual value of the skis. However there was no explanation for the discounts on the dealer's web-site promotion. I assumed it was just a seasonal sale.

I have no complaints about D3 skis, but the technical and promotional comments on this thread were informative.

• Baller_
@BraceMaker There is no sticker or decal on the ski about demo status or other. I don't have an issue about any of this . . my post was asking if the appearance of a crack was just a cosmetic issue or something else. Turns out its not actually a crack but folds in the color application. Thanks for your information . . I'm heading for the lake.

• Baller_
@Drago I contacted the well known on line retailer by email about the dent and resin blister that came in the sidewall of the new ION. He replied saying it wasn't right, that he had forwarded the information to D3 and would get back to me when he heard something. I never heard from him and I just decided to forget about it. With that experience I decided to ask this forum about this "non-crack" in the EVO. I was more concerned about the appearance of an 8" crack - which I learned wasn't actually a crack.

• Baller

I recently contacted D3 via the contact line on their site about a couple of matters re my old Quest 45,including a blemish on the " clear top coat ".

Quoted my serial number and attached photos.

Received a reply within hours from TW that gave full ski production details which answered one question and an explanation from another of their tech guys (sorry cant recall his name ) explaining that D3 do not use a resign top coat, rather a plastic top layer, Both issues addressed very promptly and advice given to successfully address the second issue.

Great customer service D3.

• Baller_
I am sorry this inquiry on BOS created so much tension. Last December I contacted the dealer when I had a similar question -with photos and order number- about impact damage on a new ION. He said he would contact D3 and get back to me . . it never happened. So yesterday when I had a question, I went to the forum for information and received good answers in minutes. I love D3 skis. If there is a next time I need information, I will go straight to D3.