Dual-Puck ZO issues on 2015 Prostar

Mastercrafter

• Baller

Passes thru the course get interesting when ZO loses satellites at the 55s and the boat accelerates to 38, pull back and drive via RPM til 5 ball, then ZO thinks you’re going 75 and cuts all power because I forgot to turn it off. Doh.

Anyways..

I’m usually showing 8-11 satellites. Sunday it was 0-5 and I’m getting surging of about 100rpm with no skier on smooth water.

I’ve been told a single-puck upgrade on my 2015 is needed, or at least a good idea. Is this correct? How many satellites should I be picking up? I’m in SE Michigan, if it matters.

DIY (I’m pretty handy) or take it to Action?

• Baller
You don’t need to upgrade to single puck. All you need to do is update the firmware on the pucks you have. It’s a really common problem and an easy fix if you have the gear to do it. There is a thread on here about it. Or pay perfect pass to do it for you (yes they can do zero off pucks). It will work a LOT better than it has in years.

• Baller
Today my dual puck ZO lost GPS as I was rounding the island. It did not come back. I turned the main power disconnect off and on a couple of times. Eventually he GPS lock did come back. The GPS info showed the correct time with a date of 12/21/01 with 7 satellites. I forgot to take a picture. The unit will be off for a couple of days. After the next power up and hopefully it will GPS lock, I will again check the date and time. The experts in my area are at Nationals this week.

• Baller

The puck software is out of date..the original ‘life’ was 20yrs or so..the gps date has confirmed this as the problem..

It’s not about how many sats your gps is seeing….it’s where it thinks the sats are in the sky. Satellites move over time - and this can be predicted, just like the tide. If the gps is looking in the wrong place, it won’t find them..or, worse, it finds them but then thinks they are in a different location when trying to work out its own location. Currently, your system is using satellite position data from 2001…

Easy solution is to buy 1 new Garmin puck and replace the right hand puck..unplug the left hand puck as the ZO system only uses one puck at a time..this is a simple replacement job..

We decided to go for the full Single puck upgrade with Rev S for both our club boats…they ski better than ever, but that is a slightly pricier option..

• Baller

I opted for single puck upgrade from Zero Off so I can get the latest RevS as well. Ordered hardware and when it arrives, I'll post how the install goes. Freddy Kruger's youtube videos do a great job explaining. I'll see about updating the firmware in the dual-pucks and either hang onto them, or sell them.