Fin grooves

dskunhardt

• Baller

Hi everyone,

I wanted to try milling some grooves over my fin, still don't know if horizontally or diagonal or even s pattern.

Just wondering if any of you have already tried this? Or if not but have some good ideas on mind I'm willing to try them.

Let's see where can we go with this.

• Baller

Go for it! If you’ve got a mill, hopefully you have a CNC and can cut more fin blanks. You’re not getting this right on the first try B) . But hey, maybe you blow through a few dozen and find a Whisper Fin or CG type breakthrough.

On the very bright side, testing fins is way more fun than testing boot releases

• Baller
@dskunhardt Perhaps take a look at Hydrodynamics, not sure what benefits you would achieve on such a small area, I would think that you might get away with it on the thicker fins not so sure on the thinner ones, any groove could create a stress point, resulting in fin failure.

• Baller

Had photos of the set up with dykem and lay out but I am not going to pay photobucket to relive my misspent youth.

mbv9h2vz5s72.jpg

Just measured the thickness did trig to figure out the depth of cut and angle then used a sine plate to set it up on my mill and touched off manually at each step on the shallow side with a cigarette paper then milled the length on the X manually. Backed off and touched on the next one and repeated.

Again In think the idea is sound but Denali does this with their angle cut fin holes which reduce effective area with a lot less work and more repeatable outcome.

NOT my idea someone posted it and I tried it. Followed by whatever rum Horton then pedaled.

• Baller_
Laminar flow along a surface has less drag than turbulent flow therefore tripping laminar flow along the fin surface can increase drag. A fin sees both laminar and turbulent flow along its surface, you can see that on an anodized fin which shows the effects of turbulent flow. Flow analysis on a ski in motion is quite complicated. Hence, experimentation is the current method to analyze the effects.

• Administrators

you guys don't forget that flex matters. when you start machining material away your fin is going to flex more. More fin flex is going to make the ski slower out of the ball, potentially more forgiving, and maybe hold more angle.

Slower and more angle may result in sore upper back.

If you guys are just bored and happy to burn boat gas on an experiment, rock on. If you're doing this because you think you're going to improve your skiing I find that dubious.

• Baller

I can’t remember who but years ago he was messing with fins made of carbon or balsa. He reminded me of pinky and the brain. Well…pinky not the brain.

The idea is good, the last guy whose name I can’t remember, not so good.

• Baller_

Remember the fin holes that used to make a whistling noise ? I think it was because the first do-it-yourself holes were smaller. The resulting harmony of holes would change pitch with speed. If those small holes were used today, the skier speed range at 41off could generate 3 or 4 octave's. On our lake we could hear fin whistling a 1/2 mile away.

I think the golf-ball textured fin will be silent and have less drag, but not as much affect as a couple of degrees of wing angle.