New Member Signing In

Reddley

Good Afternoon! I'm a 60 y.o. grandma who's been on a slalom for 50 years and don't want to quit anytime soon! I am original owner of a 96 Gekko GTS 20 which I LOVE and has been incredibly reliable for every one of its 25 years. Skiing on an Obrien Impulse that is almost as old as the Gekko. I've slowed down from 34 to about 30 since I don't get out as often as I'd like. I hope to catch up on some recommendations to keep me skiing. First objective is to transition to a new ski that accommodates my dwindling strength and balance but still lets me feel like I can carve like the old days. No competition in my future, just the joy of being on the water. Hope some of you have some insight!

• Baller

Come to right place!

I'd recommend a Radar Union, Katana, or Butterknife. A year ago my wife got a Butterknife to keep boat speed lower since she now skis less and isn't chasing buoys. It's much wider and softer than most traditional skis which helps on starts but will also flex in the turn without feeling like a plank. I think there is a video of this site's owner on a Katana which is almost as wide as a butterknife getting up the rope pretty good. Hard to go wrong with the current skis available.

• Baller_

Welcome @Reddley, We would love to get you sorted on some skis if we can help! Like Buechsr said, the Radar Union would be great, if you are looking for something a bit more stable, they do not make the Katana or the Butterknife anymore, but they do two new skis, called the Terrain, and the Session which are great! HO makes some good options as well with the Fusion Freeride! If you want to PM I can reach out and we can chat via phone if that is easier as well.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

Welcome to the site. Just joined my self at 57 years old. I am glad to see there is an older group of people still skiing.

Approximately 20-25 years ago I was working a small Emergency room in a mountain community near the edge of a lake. A lady in her mid to late 50 entered my ER hall way in a still dripping wet bathing suit from the ambulance bay with a panicked look on her face. I asked if I could help. The lady replied "yes, my Mother hurt her back water skiing and is in the back seat of the car outside". I am thinking to my self OK what is going on here. Most women your age do not water ski and you are telling me your Mom is injured from water skiing and is in the car. I honestly thought the woman was trippin on something.

I walk outside to the car and there lying across the back seat is a petite 72 year old lady complaining of low back pain and she was as mad as a hornet as her body had failed her. We got her out of the car and into the ER. She had a compression fracture of the spine. She told me she felt an instant pain in her back while getting up from a deep water start on a single and let go of the rope.

She told me she started skiing at 56 years old on this lake and she will continue to ski as soon as she can get her back healed and get back out on the water.

I aspire to be like that woman if I live that long.

• Baller
I read this and thought "wow, that is cool!" Then I realized my wife will be 60 in October, has been skiing since she was 10 and still loves it to this day. She is a breast cancer survivor, skis 3-4 times/week in the summer, dons a wetsuit in the fall and goes as long as she can in the cooler months. We freeski and hit the course a few times a month on public water. She doesn't ski the course, but drives it. We have an old boat as well, '92 MC 205 w/ perfect pass. A few years ago, she got a Radar Butterknife for the reasons you mentioned getting a new ski and loves it. It is no longer in production but the Session (I think) took its place. I see @mike_mapple has reached out to you - follow his advice and you'll find a ski you love. And yes, you will love it more than your old Impulse.